We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Downtown

Barcelona
1 post
Save Topic
Living in Downtown

Hi,

My sister has been offered a short term placement in Atlanta's downtown. She would be both working and living in Downtown. Is this a safe place for a single female 24 yrs old living alone? Isn't it essentially a commercial district which is likely to be a bit deserted in the evenings?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Living in Downtown

Sorry for you, stray person. The study you cite attributes the low scores to crime which is admittedly a problem in given areas. However, it has nothing at all to do with being unhip or unfriendly. Try again in Charlotte as I know it is a great place to live.

Atlanta
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Living in Downtown

Hi. I live in what many people consider to be 'downtown' but is a residential area in the city. I love it and feel very safe. It really depends on the area. There are many really good and then pretty bad living situations that are 'downtown'. Do you know what area the offer is for?

Charlotte
3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Living in Downtown

For Peachswan, thanks! I was going for loud and clear.

Mercer's main US offices are NYC and Louisville. They're in some 150 cities in 40 countries, and have 50-60 consulting offices all over the US, so don't be too flattered. (Or maybe their scoring reflected first-hand experience?)

Why seven years? Glad you asked. Paying my dues...I was bound by contract, no one in the entire firm would live in Atlanta, and I drew the short straw. It helped that I travel a lot.

For dave&lisa, I stand corrected. Mercer's latest quality of life

survey shows Atlanta as the lowest scoring city not just in the US, but all of North America, down from last years' 76 to a new low of 90.

The unfriendly, unhip, assessment was mine.

Every city has its good and bad points, but Atlanta is truly a place with nearly no redeeming qualities.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Living in Downtown

Thank you for answering my question. Would they not let you out of your contract?

Were you treated badly during your years here? Why is Atlanta so "unhip" and "low class"? How is your current city better?

I would like to hear more about the experiences that helped form your opinion. I'm not being sarcastic. I am curious.

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Living in Downtown

OK. Good luck to you. Get some sleep. Bye.bye.

16. Re: Living in Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:05 pm, July 19, 2005
Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Living in Downtown

lots of typos, sorry

New York
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Living in Downtown

STRAYDOG: Hi there. I am new to this forum and you seem to be the first person to write such a negative opinion on Atlanta. I am very interested in your experience there.

A relative of mine and her family just recently moved to Hampton and she absolutely loves it. Her history is that she has always been a single mother working 2 jobs (sometimes 3) in order to make ends meet in our very expensive town of NY. So for her to buy a 5BR house for 160K (unbelievable to us New Yorkers!!) and be able to work one job and pay her bills has made her extremely happy.

Anyway, ever since she moved down my parents (54 and 61yrs old) are starting to consider it also. If my parents move there...then I'd be very tempted to follow (I'm 34). And if i do, i will most likely be working in the city of Atlanta itself as well as enjoying the nightlife there.

So as i said, I would be very interested in finding out some details of your negative experiences as I know nothing about the city.

I would also like to mention that knowing nothing of the South, I have these ideas (probably a misconception) of it being racist although many people on this forum have said otherwise. As I am of an Indian background, that concerns me somewhat.

Would you mind giving me details ......??? Thanks!