We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions

South Carolina
11 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Suggestions

My family (2 adults, 2 children) and step-sons family (2 adults) are planning on a vacation to "Six Flags Over Georgia", "Six Flags White Water" and the to "Stone Mountain". We plan to travel in July 2005. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a fairly decent hotel we could stay in that would be convenniently to all 3 attractions?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions

I think staying in the Perimeter Area might be a good choice since it is in the middle of all those attractions. You might try the Hilton Garden Inn, which seems to have garnered mostly favorable reviews. There are a number of hotels in that area that would fit the bill.

The Perimeter area is next to I-285, which will get you to both Six Flags Over Georgia and Stone Mountain. All you have to do to get to Six Flags White Water is get on I-285 to I-75 and head north.

Besides being a pretty safe part of town, the Perimeter area also has some good restaurants/shopping that might prove a good travel base to work from.

South Carolina
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions

Thank you Peachyswan. I have surfed the internet for weeks and could not come up with anything. I will consider the advise you have given. I know it will now be helpful to me now that I have somewhere to start. Thank you again!!!!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions

You might consider the Cumberland Mall area. White Water would be 5 miles, Six Flags 15 miles and Stone Mountain 30 miles. Cobb Parkway (Highway 41) has many places to eat besides Cumberland Mall and the Galleria across the street.

Hampton Inn, 2775 Cumberland Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30339

Holiday Inn Express, 1200 Winchester Pkwy Se

Smyrna, GA 30080

We often stay at the Sheraton Suites Galleria Hotel in the same area, but it may be more than you would want to pay if you book directly with them. We usually get it through hotwire but you don't know what the hotel is until you hit the purchase button. It usually comes up as a 3 1/2 star hotel in Marietta/Vinings for $55 a night.

All the hotels are near to the intersection of I-75 and I-285.

This is the area I would base out of if I were going to those three attractions. I would rather be close to two of the three and only drive a little further one day.

FYI There is a grocery store, a Pulix I think, on the Vinings exit.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions

No problem at all! I'm glad to help. Let me know if you have any other questions since I used to live quite close to that area.

Just as a note of caution, I would definitely NOT stay in a hotel very clost to Six Flags over Georgia. Most of them are fleabags and it is a risky area.

The Galleria/Cumberland area, as the other poster points out, is another base to consider for your trip. It may be a few miles closer to the two Six Flags attractions you're going to.

I just happen to like the Perimeter area more because I like Perimeter Mall more than Cumberland Mall. There's also a Cheescake Factory at PM and I have a weakness for that place.

South Carolina
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Suggestions

Reinarubia, thank you for the very helpful information. You have given me a lot great options and opinions. Since this is our first time visiting this area, any and all information is helpful to us. Thank you for pointing out points of interest for my family.

South Carolina
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Suggestions

Well I thought I had finally had a place to start with the advise and comments from the above posts. But the problem I am having now is I don't know what cities are within the "PERIMETER & GALLERIA/CUMBERLAND AREAS". Does anyone know so that I would be able to choose the appropriate location?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Suggestions

The Perimeter Mall area is in unincorporated parts of Fulton and Dekalb Counties just outside 285 (the Perimeter) and outside the city limits of Atlanta. (The Fulton part will become the City of Sandy Springs soon.) You can find Perimeter hotels by searching in Atlanta.

The Galleria/Cumberland area is at the northwest corner of 285. Parts of it are in the City of Smyrna and parts are close to (and may be in) the City of Marietta. You probably can find hotels in this area by searching Atlanta, Smyrna or Marietta. This area is closer to Six Flags and White Water and further from Stone Mountain than the Perimeter area.

I would suggest the Perimeter area. The mall is nicer, there's lots of nice shopping and restaurants, it's centrally located, near 2 MARTA stations, and there should be hotel choices in all ranges.

South Carolina
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Suggestions

ATLLAW, thank you for helping me determine what cities are within which area. I saw the cities you mentioned but I just didn't know if they were in the area I was supposed to be in. Thank you so much for helping me. I never knew vacationing could be so difficult. lol