We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Georgia trip advice

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Athens Georgia trip advice

We are going to Athens for a wedding in June. We have 3 days in Athens and 4 days up for grabs. I was looking at visiting The Biltmore, and North Georgia sounds beautiful. Suggestions on a 4 day driving itinerary from Athens back to Atlanta would be great. Also any day trip journeys around Athens would be helpful.

thanks,

atlanta
Level Contributor
585 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

I am not sure if you need more than 1 night in athens. Be sure to stay downtown (the Hilton Garden Inn is new and in a perfect location) so you can walk to everything and visit north campus of uga. You have to visit the winery and Harry Bissetts in Athens. They are my favorite. From Downtown athens, go to Commerce and check out the outlets (this is right at i-85). Hop on I-85 and head to Asheville, it is about 2.5 hrs away. I went to Asheville in Oct and stayed at the Renaissance downtown. It was nice b/c it was only a couple of miles to the biltomore, but you can walk to all the bars, shopping and restaurants in Asheville. Be sure to take a drive down blue ridge pkwy.

You could also go from Athens to Lake Oconne (45 mins) and stay at the Ritz - it is beautiful. Then you are only 1.5 hrs from Atl when comming back. The pool and lake would be nice in June

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

Thanks so much, maybe I will cancel 1 day in Athens. Is there a route that takes you on scenic byways?? I saw some website that was saying Northern Georgia has wineries and waterfalls. I was also wondering if we had time to get to Tennesee.... Any other suggestions would be great...

Thanks again,

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

Is there something in particular you want to see in Tennessee? It is northwest of Atlanta, whereas Athens and Asheville are northeast. Once in Asheville, you can head west through the Great Smokey Mountains to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, then on to Knoxville. From Knoxville, you'd head southwest on I-75 to Chattanooga, then on to Atlanta. Use a map service (Google or MapQuest) to get a feel for this route:

Athens to Asheville: 3 hrs

Asheville to Knoxville: 2 hrs

Knoxville to Chattanooga: 2 hrs

Chattanooga to Atlanta: 2 hrs (it can be upwards of 4 during rush hour)

You'll probably want two days in Asheville, two days in Smokey Mts/Gatlinburg area (look up attractions there), a day in Chattanooga . . . Knoxville isn't necessarily worth a stop unless you want to see Univ of Tenn; it's just a necessary pass-through.

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

As far as scenic by-ways, use a map service and select "avoid highways" in your search preferences. All times quoted above are by way of interstates.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
1,349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

i would make the short trip from athens up to jefferson ga for an afternoon of playing on the rock slides at hurricane shoals followed by the supper buffet at the redd house. the redd house is only open thrusday thru sunday in the evenings though, and sunday dinner. enjoy your visit!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

Here’s an itinerary idea. I’m not positive on the exact timing and number of days, but here goes:

Days 1&2: Athens, GA

Day 3: Drive to Ashville, stopping by Tallulah Falls and Gorge

Day 4: Biltmore Estate

Day 5: Drive to Chattanooga via the Cherohala Skyway and Sweetwater

Day 6: Chattanooga sightseeing

Day 7: Chattanooga sightseeing and drive back to Atlanta

I rerouted the fastest drive to Asheville via Greenville to a slower but more scenic route. I haven’t been to Tallulah myself, but have heard it is a must see if you’re in the area. There’s not a whole lot in Asheville other than the estate, so I’ve allotted one full day to see everything there. Next you’ll drive to Chattanooga via IHMO the most scenic drive in the east, the Cherohala Skyway. If you’re interested in a caves at all, the Lost Sea in Sweetwater, which you’ll pass through on that drive, is a must. There’s much to choose from in Chattanooga to see, but my suggestions would be a walk along the riverfront to Northshore via the Walnut Street Bridge, the Tennessee Aquarium, and Rock City and Point Park on Lookout Mountain. That should just about fill up one and ½ days before you drive back to Atlanta.

How does that sound? Any thoughts? Google any of the things I noted for more info. If you’d like more familiarization with Chattanooga, post a thread in the Chattanooga forum. Good luck planning!

Kristian

Btw, here's a map of the route I suggested:

http://tinyurl.com/2wnzmq

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

Since you are going to Asheville to the Biltmore,

you might want to check out the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Look at it on Google Images & do a little online

research. You can drive south on it from Asheville-

the mountain views are fabulous.

Have a great trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

I forgot about that! There would already be quite a bit of slow but scenic driving with the route I gave, but if they worked it in on the Tallulah day it could be done. The drive is very scenic, though not quite as breathtaking as the Cherohala.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

Thank you so very much... I am getting excited about our trip and will do some more research. I love the itineary.

Happy Travels,

10. Re: Athens Georgia trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 20, 2009