We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which days are better to go sightseeing?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
10 posts
Save Topic
Which days are better to go sightseeing?

Shoul we go to downtown Atlanta on a week day or the weekend?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

Hi, Inspired. I'm a local but I hadn't been to Centennial Park since the Olympics. Today (Saturay) we went down to the Rialto to see a movie that's part of the Atlanta Film Festival and went over to Centennial to find the bricks my family bought there back in 1996. It was fun going to search for them among the thousands of others.

There were families enjoying the park and kids playing in the water spraysl. But it wasn't swarming with people. It was really quite nice. We walked over to CNN Center to shop in the Braves store. Again, a number of tourists but not swamped with crowds. The tour groups were going through CNN without having to wait long.

One nice thing about going downtown on a weekend day is lack of traffic. Still, to avoid paying anything, we took MARTA down from Lindbergh with no problems.

NYC
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

Thank You,

I'll put the downtown area on my schedule for Saturday. Another question please, will the downtown area activities fill up a whole day of should I plan to tour downtown and maybe something else. I know I can not go on the CNN tour because I have a 3 month old and they say no children under 4 allowed.

By the way is the aquarium finished?

Thank you,

NYC
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

Thank You,

I'll put the downtown area on my schedule for Saturday. Another question please, will the downtown area activities fill up a whole day of should I plan to tour downtown and maybe something else. I know I can not go on the CNN tour because I have a 3 month old and they say no children under 4 allowed.

By the way is the aquarium finished?

Thank you,

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

It sort of depends on what you're planning to do downtown -- you certainly can fill up a day, if you do most of what there is to do downtown, or if your definition of downtown includes Midtown and/or Buckhead. Depending on the age of your kids, etc., you might fill up a day just with Underground Atlanta, the Coke Museum, Centennial Olympic Park, and the ImagineIt! Children's Museum (a lot of fun, btw), once you add in meals and time to walk from one to the other. If you decide to try to do the Turner Field and Braves Hall of Fame tour, I think you'd definitely run out of day or energy or both.

The Georgia Aquarium isn't scheduled to open until November, I believe, but they did deliver the feature attractions -- two whale sharks from Taiwan -- recently.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

I have to warn you - Underground Atlanta may be disappointing. It's basically an unimpressive mall. (Atlanta's best malls are Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza in Buckhead.) Underground has been struggling in recent years and they're trying to turn it into a nightlife spot by allowing bars to stay open later than in other parts of the city. The World of Coca Cola next door is fun though.

Too bad you will not be here when the Aquarium is open. It's supposed to be the largest in North America. There are already some but there really will be a lot of attractions in that area. Next year they will be building a bigger and better World of Coca Cola next to the Aquarium. There's already Centennial Olympic Park, CNN and the Children's Museum nearby. Philips Arena and the Georgia Dome are near. They are also trying to attract a NASCAR Hall of Fame to build on land nearby.

Ballgames at Turner Field are fun. There are a lot of things to entertain younger kids (if the baseball game doesn't). If the Braves aren't playing, they give tours that take you on the field and in the clubhouse.

If you have small children, they will love the Fernbank Museum of Natural History. It's really geared to kids and there's a "Grossology" exhibit there now. (There's even an educational play area for toddlers upstairs.) This is in the Druid Hills section of Atlanta off of Ponce de Leon Ave. In Marietta, there's American Adventures which is an amusement park where all the rides are geared to younger kids and next door is White Water which is a big water park. If you want a fun excursion - Lake Lanier Islands has a nice water park and a sandy beach along the lake - about 45 minutes from Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

First, I apologize for the glaring spelling errors in my post yesterday. I can only claim lack of energy from the day's events!

ATLlaw is right on about Underground. The only thing there that's worth seeing is World of Coke, which they're supposed to be moving over the Centennial Olympic Park eventually. It is true that many people regard it as one long commercial but it is fun for all ages. They have an area where you can taste all the brands they sell, including the overseas brands not available here. Beware of Beverley! :-)

Fernbank, which you would have to drive to, is awesome. It is one of the best natural history museums in the country.

If you do go to the Ted for a tour, if you go on a game day, you don't get to see as much as you would on a non-game day for security reasons. It is a kid-friendly place on game days since the Cartoon Network has a place there (Ted owns that, too.) They've been having concerts in the plaza before the game. The bands aren't on the A list but some of them have been good.

The tour itself is really good. They take you down to the dugout but nobody's allowed on the field.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

During the baseball season, they're probably stricter about letting people on the field during tours. We've taken the tour before the season and they let our kids pose for pictures on the grass.

On Sundays after the games, they do let kids run the bases.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

Wow, we'll have to do the tour in the fall or something so my husband can get a photo on the grass. He'd love that.

Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

How much time should I allow for the Coke Museum?

Is there other things to see, that's within walking distance from the museum? This would be on Saturday afternoon after 4pm,

in August.

Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which days are better to go sightseeing?

Stay away from Atlanta during the week. Maybe if you want to go in the evening it might be alright. Go on the weekends. If you go during the week, you have to deal with rush hour, workers coming and going, etc...