We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skydiving in Atlanta & where to stay-4 couples

central CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Skydiving in Atlanta & where to stay-4 couples

Can anyone advise us how the skydiving is here?

We are looking for a resort that we can go to close to the skydiving place where us women can do some shopping and go back to a pool with a bar to relax/soak up the sun & have a drink by the pool while the guys are skydiving? A 4/5 star resort would be good..Is this possible..??

We do not mind renting a car due to we realize the guys need to travel for skydiving......

We will be flying into Atlanta in July---any advise? this our first time to Atlanta!

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skydiving in Atlanta & where to stay-4 couples

I think there are a couple places outside the city where skydiving is offered. You will have to drive probably at least 45 minutes - hour to get there. You can go to either Rome, GA (north of the city) or Thomaston, GA (south of the city). That said, I would stay in a hotel inside the city of Atlanta. Either Buckhead or Midtown areas. Buckhead will be closer to the 2 malls - Lenox & Phipps. But, I personally like midtown best. If you stay in midtown (there is a 4 Seasons hotel in midtown) you can always ride MARTA to Buckhead for shopping or get a cab.

Some good local spas are: Spa Sydell (location in midtown & buckhead), Natural Body (midtown), Cortex Spa & Salon, there is also Key Lime Pie in the VA Highlands area which is a short distance from midtown.

As far as eating goes, buckhead & midtown both have a number of wonderful restaurants.

I have lived in the city for 9 years, and ss I said before, my preference would be to stay in Midtown.

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Skydiving in Atlanta & where to stay-4 couples

I went skydiving in Monroe-www.skydivemonroe.com

It was great and would be much closer than Rome or Thomaston. I'd agree regarding staying in Midtown.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Skydiving in Atlanta & where to stay-4 couples

I agree on the sky diving location in Monroe.

If you want to be pampered at a 4/5 star resort, you might check out the Chateau Elan winery and resort which is about 26 miles north of Monroe and pretty easy to find. It's just off exit 126 on I-85, going left on Hwy 211. You can see it from the interstate. My wife and I love it there. If we decide on a getaway for 2 or 3 days close to home, that is where we usually go.

Check it out at http://www.chateauelanatlanta.com/

You can do a Map Quest search and put in the skydiving address at 528 Towler St. Monroe, GA 30655 going to I-85 and Hwy 211 nw, Braselton, GA 30517.

Take a virtual tour of the property on their web site and see what you think. As far as lounging around the pool, there are four of them, two inside, two outside. The bar isn't right there, but waiters will bring you anything you desire to poolside.

Plus if your husbands (or you) like thrills, (which seems probable) Chateau Elan is owned by the Panoz family which also owns Panoz Motor Sports (which just won it's first Grand Prix race at Road Atlanta) The family also owns the adjacent Road Atlanta Grand Prix race course, one of the finest tracks of it's kind in the world. One of the recreation options at Chateau Elan is either a run on the course with a professional driver, or following required instruction, taking a turn driving one of the Panoz cars yourself.

Trust me. As much as I love sky diving, the adrenaline rush on that track, in a fast GT2 class car (they have customized Cobra V8 engines) is unbeatable.

I realize that you didn't ask me for a trip itinerary, but I just thought I'd suggest something. I like that place.

central CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skydiving in Atlanta & where to stay-4 couples

thsnk you so so much for the fantastic report! We can't wait!