We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

GA
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

After obtaining the expert advice on here and researching a bit, my list of prospects seems to be pretty much in line with what you suggested to begin with. Now that I have realized the wisdom in your original advice, I'd like to ask you all for some help narrowing down my selections. I am looking primarily at the JW, Intercontinental, and the Grand Hyatt. All of them are fairly evenly priced, I would say JW is the least expensive by a decent margin, then the intercontinental and Grand Hyatt are nearly equally priced depending on the room and package selection. How would you compare these three as far as:

1. Luxuriousness

2. Quality of Service (obviously variable)

3. In hotel restaurants

4. Nearby shopping and restaurants

I think they are all in roughly the same area, so I'm not sure if all of those categories are valid, but think of anything else that might be of interest. And if there are any other places that I should maybe take a look at, will you tell me a little bit about those too? Thanks for the help, again. I'll let you know where I finally end up!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

Since this is your wedding night, I would adivse you to drive to Atlanta and check all these things out in person. It would mean so much to your bride and would score big points with her.That is how I would feel as a woman, myself.

You don't say where you are in Georgia, but I am assuming it wouldn't be that far for you to drive.

GA
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

I'm a few hours from Atlanta (the wedding is closer), so I'm not sure if I will get a chance to look around before I book. But my fiance doesn't want to know where we are staying until we get there because she put me in charge of this and told me to surprise her. That's why I'm trying to get as many perspectives as possible on TA to choose the best hotel for us.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

That's why I recommend you do it, rather than leaving it to strangers on the internet. Most people will not have stayed at all the hotels you list and only you know what you really want. Just my opinion.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,590 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

On instinct I would go with the Intercontinental. It's the only one with a widely-known restaurant, but make sure she likes French food if you plan on eating there. In Buckhead you don't have to limit yourself to the hotel restaurant though because there are so many options all around. I would immediately cross off any hotel near the airport. Beyond that, I think you need to look at the hotels' websites and the reviews here. I seriously doubt anybody on this board is going to have stayed at all three hotels in order to give you the level of in depth comparison you seem to want.

atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

I would do JW or Intercontinential. The Intercontinential is problaby nicer and will have a greater level of service (Ritz Carlton like) but the JW is really nice as well. From both places you can walk to Lenox Mall. JW is connected to the Mall, wich is nice. You could walk to Dante's for dinner or take the hotel shuttle to Emerils (it is nearby). The Clubhouse at Lenox Mall is pretty good too. Stay intercontinential if you are going for luxury. Or, stay JW to save a little money on the room and have better meals.

Washington, Ga
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

I've never stayed at the Intercontinental, but I've attended events there. It is absolutely beautiful! However, I have also eaten at their French restaurant and I think (while the decor is lovely) the food is mediocre and way overpriced. Buckhead has TONS of fabulous restaurants; don't waste time with this one! The Buckhead Life Group (www.buckheadrestaurants.com) has several wonderful restaurants...check out the website and check out their menus on line. All of their restaurants have stunning decor, great food and attentive staff. The Tavern restaurant at Phipps Plaza is good. Brio's on Peachtree (a chain but a good one!) is good. Chop's and The Lobster Bar (same location, one above the other) are both great. If you've never been to Atlanta you've got to try The Varsity (world's largest drive-in...you you can eat inside too)...fantastic chili dogs and onion rings.... I could go on but I'm making myself hungry...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
141 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

I would not do a wedding celebration type meal at Emeril's. I have not been there but that is because I keep hearing the food is awful and overpriced for what it is.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,590 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

I have eaten at Emeril's, albeit years ago when it first opened, and thought it was fantastic. The only reasons I haven't been back are that in the meantime I have eaten at his restaurants in New Orleans and I rarely venture to Buckhead for dinner. However, the one meal I had there, which included everything from appetizers to entrees to desserts to cordials and included bottles of wine and cocktails was really a great meal. The cost was comparable to what other restaurants in that range cost. I think we paid around $300 for 4 people, which I don't think is that bad at all considering how the massive quantities we ate and drank. The service was impeccable, with four servers bringing out our four dishes and setting them down precisely at the same time.

I do think, though, that unless there's a more secluded table somewhere it isn't the most romantic restaurant. For quite and romantic something like Antica Posta or Aria would probably be better.

9. Re: Ok, total revision of my question about wedding night in ATL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 31, 2009