We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving fDirections from Washington DC

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving fDirections from Washington DC

Just curious, we are staying in Smyrna, and when I map the drive, I initially get the take 95 S to 85S right into Atlanta route. Although someone else mentioned to me that going 66W (from DC) to 81 S, to 77S to 85 S to 285 W (for the final few miles) saves time, and avoids potential bottlenecks on 95. Anyone have any recs on which way makes more sense?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

When are you leaving? Only reason you would go out 66 W would depend on when and where you are leaving from DC. I wouldn't go that way from where I am leaving from.

We drove to Atlanta once (From PG County) it took 9 hours. But we left on a Friday Night and got to ATL in the early morning hours.

We drove straight 95 S and then 85 S once outside of Richmond. It wasn't bad during that time of day.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

Leaving at noon tomorrow (Friday)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

Terptraveler, as a former Washingtonian I have taken the 95 to 85 route to Atlanta but have left in the evening, so I never had a problem.

If I were leaving at noon on a Friday as you are, however, I would probably seriously consider your 66/81/77/85/285 route, even though 66 West will suck until you get away from Arlington at a minimum!

Just stock up on drinks and snacks beforehand since there's not a lot on the later stretches of 66 and 81. Wave to JMU if you go that route!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

10-4. Thanks again.

Boos, you know you miss 66 during rush hour and DC area traffic in general. It builds character...;)

I know JMU well, so definitely will give it a honk when we pass through. Regardless, I'll try and hop back on here after our trip to give others some feedback on how the ride went.

Any other time we'd be flying, but were too cheap to spend another $500 after the cost of tickets and hotel..

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

<<<Boos, you know you miss 66 during rush hour and DC area traffic in general. It builds character...;)>>>

I think I've sat in enough DC jams to say, "enough with the character building already!!!" ;)

Terp, the nice thing about the Atlanta metro area is that because I live here I can *afford* to live seven miles due east of downtown, so I no longer worry about rush hour! :)

(but I still miss my old stomping grounds!)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

PS---looking forward to seeing your thoughts on your entire trip (travel, hotel, downtown, etc)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

Thanks for the info to all who helped. For the record, we did the 95S to 85S to 285. I wasn't driving, but stops for gas and food, it ended up taking us about 11 hours from Bethesda. Traffic getting onto 95 in No Va was stop and go for about 45 mins, even though it was only 1pm. Driver (not me) didn't exactly have a lead foot, and we stopped to sit down for food twice. Actual driving time was probably about 10 hours.

Hotel was the Comfort Inn and Suites in Smyrna. Nice, clean, decent location. Cabs from there to the Ga Dome were running us about $35 total (for 4 people). Buncha fast food places nearby, and the hotel is right off of 285, so seemingly convenient. Night of the championship we came home to 4 cops around the door across from us however. Apparently someone had called to report some drug use. Nothing the hotel could help, but felt like it should be mentioned. Beds were comfy, and hotel provides breakfast each morning (muffins, bagels, biscuits and gravy, coffee--no eggs, bacon though).

Since we were doin hoops pretty much the entire time, didn't do a ton of fine dining. Mostly quick stuff. Spent a fair amount of time at the Jocks and Jills on 10th Street. Nice open air (covered) patio with about 15 TVS on it. Very nice place to relax and have a drink. Also provide free shuttle to the Ga Dome (which you can bring your drink on), which is kinda nice.

Went to Taco Macs over in Lindbergh (area) also. Had over 300 beers available! Wow. Food was sports bar type, but had some decent wings there.

Went to Buckhead one night after the games to Makos (sp?) That place was interesting. Someone had recommended it, but more of a guys bar if you know what I mean. Also made it out to this place American pie one night also, which seemed like a bar you'd find on Spring Break in Panama City, but again we were easy to please so it was all good, had a nice deck to relax on.

Lastly, the city seemed very large, but cabs were easily available. People were VERY nice. I was interested to see the food court in the CNN Center (just outside the Ga Dome) was the hot spot before the games. Never had seen a Chick Fil-A that sold beer until this trip. I assume that was a perk for the Final Four???

8. Re: Driving fDirections from Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 29, 2009