We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vulture feeding places around Benaojan

Which Grazalema hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belguim
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Topic
vulture feeding places around Benaojan

I've been reading about these feeding places for vultures in the grazalema area. Can someone tell me where we could find such a place?

3 replies to this topic
Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vulture feeding places around Benaojan

Unfortunately, there are no public feeding stations within easy reach. There is one on the far side of Cortes de la Frontera, down the hill towards El Colmenar but that is a bit of a long drive from where you will be. Not only that, I am not sure how often the food is put out for the vultures.

Eva (www.rondamountains.com) knows someone who is involved and I will ask her when I see her next. That will probably be this evening. Stay tuned!

However, there is a plus side to this. Every now and then the vultures find a dead horse/cow/deer/ibex and swarm down to eat. Earlier this week there was a dead deer outside Montejaque, just a few metres from the road, and we got great views of maybe 200 vultures (100 feeding; 100 circling overhead) for about an hour. That was "in the wild", so to speak.

When you get here, let me have your mobile phone number so we can keep you informed of anything happening.

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vulture feeding places around Benaojan

More on that feeding station near Cortes de la Frontera. Eva tells me that it is not worth going there. There is a butcher based in Cortes who will take meat there on demand and charges a fee for doing so.

Other than that, it is hit and miss and certainly not worth driving all the way there just on the off chance that you might see vultures there.

For what it is worth, Eva and I have been to that feeding station several times, spent several hours there and saw absolutely nothing because there were no carcasses.

Nowadays, there are enough carcasses in the fields for the vultures to eat. They can go up to 28 days without eating.

Edited: 5:11 am, July 20, 2012
Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vulture feeding places around Benaojan

Eva was one of the team of volunteers that helped to build that feeding station and I suspect she feels a bit cheated by the results of her work.

Reply to: vulture feeding places around Benaojan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted