We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

MA
Level Contributor
412 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

I'm considering camping in late August for 3-4 nights with two boys aged 7 & 9. We are coming from central MA. We've done the White Mountains in NH a few times but never VT.

We like bike riding with few if any hills, easy but rewarding hikes, a lake or at least nice stream for swimming/wading, maybe an affordable canoe rental, and some interesting restaurants/shops/diversions nearby.

I like the idea of Stowe's rec trail and Smuggler's Notch drive and boulders to scramble on, but am less enthusiastic about the four-hour drive. Woodstock saves us an hour and may cut down some on the are-we-there-yet-itis. But I know little about Woodstock other than it's a cool little town, and more compressed than Stowe.

Any thoughts or ideas? I have seen many comparisons between the two towns, but seemingly always relative to adults leaf-peeping. Yor help is greatly appreciated!

Seaford, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

Woodstock there was limited options with kids I felt..the village is cute but I wouldn't expect kids to want to shop and eat at some of those restaurants.. Except the billings farm and museum which are great !! The vermont institute of science is wonderful also in Quechee.

Seaford, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

Woodstock there was limited options with kids I felt..the village is cute but I wouldn't expect kids to want to shop and eat at some of those restaurants.. Except the billings farm and museum which are great !! The vermont institute of science is wonderful also in Quechee. I would head towards Stowe.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

There is definately more to do in and around Stowe.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

I am not a camper but assuming that means you are not in town anyway, then not sure why Woodstock area would not be just fine. There is bike riding through woodstock that seemed pretty level. I have not biked the area but as an avid biker try to pay attention to these kinds of details. Quechee Gorge is a great view and hike. Simon Pearce glass blowing should be interesting to the kids. Pretty close to killington and other areas for hikes. Kids will like the Vt Country store in weston. There are restaurants in Woodstock which will appeal to all tastes from british pubs to lunch counters. So, I don't really think you can go too wrong either way.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,564 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

Stowe also has the Alpine Slide for kids, and the toll road - which has superb walking/hiking/scrambling at the top.

6. Re: Woodstock, Stowe, or ??? in Summer With Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock