We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodstock vs. Stowe

Dallas
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Woodstock vs. Stowe

Any suggestions on whether to visit Woodstock or Stowe for an extended weekend getaway? We're looking at a last-minute trip the last weekend in October. Unfortunately, it sounds like we'd be too late for fall foliage but we would still like to see Vermont (never been!) - maybe do some hiking, shopping, small-town sightseeing, relaxing, etc. Any thoughts?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodstock vs. Stowe

They are both excellent choices.

Woodstock is easily walked to most of the local shops and restaurants, it's small and compact.

Stowe is spread out, and if the weather is bad, you'll have to drive to shops and restaurants....but if the weather is nice, they have a fabulous bikepath for walking/biking/rollerblading that runs from the middle of the village all along the Mountain Road, where much of the town's shops and restaurants are.

Foliage has been very late this year, but it's quite unlikely you'll see color in either village the last weekend of October. Still, both villages have a kind of stark beauty even as November approaches.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodstock vs. Stowe

Morning TXGrl,

Woodstock...and I admit I am biased but I think being named as one of the 5 prettiest villages in all of the US and also now being voted by the American Planning Association one of the the top 10 streets inn all of the US gives it the edge over Stowe!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodstock vs. Stowe

They're both excellent. Doesn't Stowe offer significantly more re: restaurants, pubs and shops.... plus much more of a variety of hiking and other recreation?

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodstock vs. Stowe

...but Chris & Liz.....it didn't get those awards did it! As I say biased I am......Woodstock is nearer more small breweries and a national park.....and it's got the Vermont Flannel company...need I say more!

Houston
Level Contributor
161 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodstock vs. Stowe

We just visited both towns 2 weeks ago. Both were beautiful, quaint, etc. And I'd go back to either in a heartbeat. Seemed like there was a bit more to do in the Stowe area though. But, since it appears you are traveling from Texas, logistics may be a concern. You can fly into Manchester, NH for considerably less than other airports and Wiidstock is much closer, about 1.5 hrs. Have fun!

Houston
Level Contributor
161 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodstock vs. Stowe

Ok, clearly posting from an iPhone is not preferable. I meant Woodstock as I'm sure you've guessed!

7. Re: Woodstock vs. Stowe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 27, 2012