We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodstock and what else?

Toronto
Level Contributor
384 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Woodstock and what else?

Last summer my husband and I spent 3 nights in Woodstock and 2 in Stowe. This was our first time in Woodstock, which we fell in love with while Stowe is a spot we've visited many times. We'd like to stick to Woodstock for around three nights, then move on, not to Stowe this time. My husband mentioned driving into the Berkshires or Boston, however I prefer to stay clear of big cities. Anything by the water would be wonderufl too, so wish list could include any of the following: mountains, great scenery, quaint country roads, peaceful surriondings, ocean.

Looking forward to your replies.

Edited: 8:15 pm, June 14, 2010
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodstock and what else?

Morning Funnybone,

You might consider Jackson in New Hampshire if you are willing to drive about 2.5 hours east of Woodstock or some of the villages in Southern Vermont, such as Battleboro which is a fun town and small, it has great eating and drinking and some wonderful countryside near by. As you like water there are a number of villages near Lake Champlain on Grand Isle and in New Hampshire around Wolfsboro you can see some great country.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodstock and what else?

I was going to suggest Burlington but I wonder if it is too much of a city for you. It's right on Lake Champlain with a great recreation path and waterfront area plus lots of great restaurant/shops.

If you don't want to stay in Burlington proper I'd suggest trying the Inn at Shelburne Farms. Absolutely gorgeous, beautiful grounds, right on the lake. About 15 minutes from Burlington.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodstock and what else?

The Champlain Islands are fantastic!

Shore Acres Inn is a really great spot on the islands. Check them out!

www.shoreacres.com

Williamstown...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodstock and what else?

Definitely go to the Berkshires! This summer the Clark has a Picasso on Degas exhibit in Williamstown, MA. (www.clarkart.edu) There is also the Williamstown Theater and Williams College Art Museum. Williams College also has one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence. Williamstown is 2 hours from Woodstock and the town is beautiful. There are also no parking meters that you have to feed like in Woodstock. South Berkshire county has Tanglewood, The Shakespeare Theater, Chesterwood (Daniel Chester French's studio), Jacob's Pillow, and the Norman Rockwell Museum. There is a lot more to do in the Berkshires than Woodstock. There are also trails for hiking, lakes for kayaking or canoeing, and beautiful drives. I recommend the Orchards Hotel in Williamstown which is a AAA Four Diamond Hotel that has very spacious rooms. They also have a great restaurant and a beautiful courtyard for outdoor dining for lunch or dinner as well as their dining room. On Thursdays, they have an awesome $33.00 BBQ that is served outdoors (weather permitting & indoors if bad weather) that includes steak and lobster, salads, corn-on-the-cob and dessert. I would definitely go to the Berkshires over NH.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodstock and what else?

Good evening EphTraveler6,

With a population two and half times the size of Woodstock it is not surprising that there is more going on! Williamstown is indeed worth visiting but I would have to disagree that there are more outdoor activities to do....and it 'surprises' me you only offer one lodging option out of many choices (11 hotels & 12 B& B's/inns according to TA) as that doesn't actually give Funnybone much comparison does it?

Toronto
Level Contributor
384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodstock and what else?

Goodness, I just checked this forum and didn't realize I had received responses. I guess I forgot to tick off that little box indicating I wanted to receive forum notification in my email inbox.

Well, thanks to all who responded. Here's the latest:: I just booked my hubby and I into the Woodstocker B & B in Woodstock, Vt. for three nights (end of Aug., beg. of Sept.). We've decided to combine the latter half of the week away with an ocean visit and are considering somewhere along the Mass. coastline, either Olgunquit or Gloucester area. Having never been to either of these areas I'm open to your feedback. Also, can you recommend a more upscale hotel/motel in either place.

Thanks.

northumberland
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woodstock and what else?

We stayed at the Gazebo inn in Ogunquit before we travelled to new hampshire. It is a very good, upmarket b and b. we stayed in a suite which was very luxurious with a jacuzzi bath and kitchen area. The staff are helpful and there is a large lounge and quieter sitting room with computers. the breakfast are plentiful and you help yourself. It's a 2 minute walk to long sandy beach which we walked in the rain last month. It's close to Kennebunkport for a more restaurants etc. although we liked the local restaurant. i think it was called the Beach for great fresh fish etc.

8. Re: Woodstock and what else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, April 22, 2011