We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

Which Woodstock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Topic
HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

My husband and I live in California, and for our 30th anniversary we were thinking of planning a trip to tour New England. We only have about 5-7 days. THe Fall folliage is inportant to us, but we also would just enjoy the scenery - charming towns, covered bridges, and some scenic water spots. I am at such a loss what route to take, and where to begin. I was thinking Parts of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

* Could anyone suggest a driving /scenic itinerary for this area for a short trip? -

* What would be the best airports to fly into/out of?

*what about accomodations. SInce it is our anniversary, I would love some suggestions for scenic, cozy spots we might enjoy -

Thank you SO much for helping me get a start on this trip planning.

I

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

There are a lot of routes that can be connected.

I think in Vermont, fundamental "core" route #1 to be explored is Rt. 100 that runs through the heart of the state. It is scenic and gorgeous.

Add to it Rt. 5 along the Connecticut River from White River Junction north to St. Johnsbury. Also, explore the very tiny dirt roads between Peacham and Danville, for instance. Don't worry about getting lost, you'll eventually come back to a spot that's familiar, and these rural roads are a huge delight.

Into NH, take the Kancamagus Highway.

As for airports, Manchester NH is generally cheaper than Burlington VT, but both are about equidistant from these routes.

There's lots more routes folks can suggest, I'm just giving you a brief start. Get out your map and a highlighter, and take a look.

Understand that foliage colors can vary widely in terms of the dates of arrival, northeastern VT arrives earlier than the rest of the state, by as much as 2 weeks earlier, depending on the year. IOW, if it's peak color on October 1 in St. Johnsbury, it might not be peak color near Bennington until October 15.

Great resort towns are Woodstock, Stowe...and there's lots of smaller gems, too.

Good luck planning!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

Congratulations Memers!

30 years is a long time and I'm sure we can help you plan a memorable trip to get you back here within the next 30 years!

Firstly as has been mentioned Route 100 is the road to travel.

Secondly try and stay in just two locations and have day trips out. This will allow you to take your time and also you won't have to find new sleeping places every day.

Thirdly the other suggestions by signothetimes53 I totally agree with!

Visit from October 8/9 and you will have a good chance of getting the best of the colour in VT/HN. As to lodging options use TA and decide on what you like, from full service hotels to small inns/B & B's. If it's the latter many owners will help you plan your trip in their location, I do know this as I co-own an inn and work with other owners in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. I want you to get what you seek, so do ask as many questions as you can think of so that your trip can be personalised.

Do check out Woodstock village website (www.woodstockvt.com) and as I'm sure you know the village is often quoted as being one of the 5 prettiest

in all the US. It is also well located: White mountains/Mount Washington is about 3 hours drive away, Burlington/Stowe/Bennington about 2 hours, Manchester NH 1.5 hours and Boston Logan a little over 2 hours.

Happy planning and get those questions ready to ask/send....

california
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

Davidbignose, you mentioned that you co-own an inn...what is the name of it and where is it? Thanks.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

Hello again Memers,

I cannot self promote on the site, which I whole heartedly endorse as it is independent, but if you check out all the Woodstock B&B and Inns you should be able to deduce which one I co-own. If I say I like sausages and bright colours all should become clear! I would also State that there are many wonderful choices of lodging in Woodstock and surrounding areas so do use TA to guide you....

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

Vt and NH are one great big scenic route. Rt 100 is certainly one of the most popular for very good reason. Further south 7a from Manchester into Bennington has Mt Equinox, Rockwell museum, Hildene for just a few suggested stops. If you take 100 to 30 and go west you hit manchester the areas just described. If you go east on 30 you hit very cute little towns like Jamaica, Peru, and Newfane. Stratton Mountain is a nice stop and a place I had forgotten about until it was mentioned recently is Groat Pond which is quite beautiful and not too far off the beaten path. There is a road (not paved last time I traveled and only open in the summer) which goes thru the forest.

On the NH side, you can hit the Monadnock region, head up past Lake Winni and end up in North Conway to visit Mount Washington Valley.

Covering alot of ground if that is how you want to travel. Alternatively, you could just pick a place and take day trips with some easy hikes and just relax a little bit more. You would not be bored if you traveled that way.

Scenic water in NH- Diana's Bath's, Jackson Falls, Echo Lake, Lake Winni, or any of the lakes region, all along the Kanc especially close to the NC side, Flume Gorge, Lost River Gorge, Arathusa Falls- good hike but worth it.

Hope this helps a little

6. Re: HIghlights of the best Fall Foliage /quaint towns route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:30 pm, September 10, 2010