We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon... be honest.

Which Woodstock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
belfast
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
honeymoon... be honest.

hello,

i've posted my itinerary for our honeymoon from ireland on the forum for cape cod and for VT. it's basically this:

8 nights cape cod (chatham, captain's house inn)

4 nights vermont

4 nights boston (eliot suite)

the gap is in vermont. looking for luxury (it's a honeymoon!), importantly to be within daytrips to lake champlain, stowe, woodstock, shelburne (from what i've read)- and to see mountains or lakes or scenery.

really need opinions on accomodation. Top Notch resort is very high on my list at the mo. Cost high but within budget (compared to winter prices). Is the location reasonable to get around?

Inn at Essex i see recommended. but to be honest the room photos aren't enticing me!

Considered Willard St Inn, but very similar to accom in Cape Cod i think, and would love a change. Courtyard Burlington was another consideration.

Twin Farm definitely too dear! Basin Harbor closed or not available.

Please please please give your opinion. I really want this to be perfect - she knows nothing about it.

Thanks.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

You should also have The Stone Hill Inn on your list..

belfast
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

looks beautiful too. i'll definitely be considering that. the only fault i would find is that it would be similar to captain's house inn - dunno whether people think that's a bad thing tho!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

Stowe is an excellent location allowing you to do daytrips to all of those locations you list.

Top Notch Resort is an excellent spa resort.

Still, given that it's your honeymoon, why not do Montreal for a couple nights? It's an incredibly romantic city, great food, great hotels, easy to get in and get out, and not much further to drive.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

Dear HoneymoonerBelfast,

Do yuou actually wish to stay in Stowe for 4 nights?

I would suggest spending two nights in Woodstock and there are a number of places you could consider that are more affordable than Twin Farms!

In the village, The Lauren Inn, The Woodstocker Inn and The Jackson House Inn are all aimed at the upper end of the market. It depends whether you want a place with a restaurant or a place with access to great restaurants? The Woodstock Inn might also be considered, but some reviews feel that it is not special enough. Check them out at www.woodstockvt.com and also Trip Advisor.

The village is a great location to see a large part of the State. You have nor stated what time of year that you are coming?

You may care to go further south in the State on the way to/from Cape Cod Boston? Just a thought....

There are some wonderful small very exclusive but affordable places to stay in Boston, again use Trip Advisor to guide you.

Hope all goes well and also the surprise is kept!

When is the wedding?

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

...silly me... just read on another post that it is July 30th that you plan to commence your new life.

It is a wonderful time to visit Vermont/New England. Just make sure you visit Cambridge in Boston and also spend a short time in the North End Italian quarter where there are some great restaurants.

scotland
Level Contributor
791 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

We stayed at the Woodstocker Inn in 2006 and it is a fabulous place to stay. They were upgrading a couple of their rooms to luxury status, jacussi, terrace, plasma TV and all the furnishings were 1st class. you won't find a better base for exploring Vermont.

We stayed at the Carriage House Inn in Chatham and can highly (very highly) recommend it, but it looks as though you have already booked for Chatham. Cape Cod is a great place for a holiday and the weather in July is perfect

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

Hi Honeymooner,

I'm relaxing in front of the fire in our room in the Stone Hill Inn in Stowe. This is our second time here, and although we're here skiing, I'm sure the fantastic rooms, hot tubs, food and luxury will be the same at any time of the year.

If it helps, we have also just come from Woodstock where we skied at Killington for 2 days. We stayed at the Village Inn of Woodstock and quite frankly, I don't think you could do better there. It is "upper end", and really in keeping with the high end classic New England look. We stayed in Room 5 (which is like a mini suite), and I can't believe you'll find better ambience, relaxing style or breakfasts anywhere. Oh and my wife was very impressed with my "romantic" choice.

It might be worth cramming Stowe and Woodstock in. Having just driven it, the sat-nav showed 64 miles between them as the crow flies, but an actual 84 miles driving distance. The drive itself was fantastic - empty roads (compared to where we're from), great scenery and a breeze to find whether you have sat nav or not. We drove up from Boston and enjoyed that drive too.

If you'd prefer to base yourself in one place and I'm 100% honest, I would not base myself at Stowe. While we like the skiing, after visiting Woodstock for the first time this year, I'd choose that over Stowe. Apart from anything else, one of the things that frustrates my wife and I about Stowe is that you have to drive everywhere. There is no "centre". You can't wander into town and choose a restaurant and share a bottle of wine. You can in Woodstock.

If it helps, we're early/mid thirties, live in Edinburgh and happy to help further if you have any questions about where we've been.

belfast
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

Thanks guys, for all the help.

The stone hill inn really did entice me, but in the end i've booked top notch (after a bit of a scare about possible renovations). I feel i have to excuse myself from not going to stone hill, because it does look so romantic. I guess i was keen to stay in a resort rather than another inn purely for variety, after staying 8 days in an inn on cape cod, and before staying in (what i hope is) a boutique-type hotel in boston. hope that odd logic makes sense to someone.

i'm a little concerned now about the location but i gather that there's so much to see in so many places that i'll be driving lots no matter where we stay.

it's not too late tho if you feel i've made a horrible mistake!

jc

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

The Eliot in Boston is wonderful, and a superb, superb location for visting the best of Boston, be that shopping, museums, dining, etc.

Topnotch is pretty good, esp. if you use the spa services.

If you've made a mistake, it's likely not because of the actual places you've selected....it would be because your mix of Inns/Hotels/Resorts turns out not to be what you really wanted.

I think you have a great honeymoon planned. Relax.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: honeymoon... be honest.

You definitely haven't made a mistake. Top Notch is pretty close to the Stone Hill anyway and gets good reviews too, so the driving and scenery will be much the same. To be honest, the Stone Hill is very much like a small luxury hotel minus only the full service restaurant/room service and door staff, so I don't think you'd feel there were too many nights in an Inn type environment if you had chosen it. If it's your first time in Vermont, you'll probably just love watching the scenery and chilling out there anyay. Top Notch or the Stone Hill would both have been ideal.

If you get a chance and you're driving the I89/I93 route back down to Boston, it's only a 20 mile detour off that route if you fancy popping into Woodstock. It really is one of the most scenic places we've visited.

Also, if you're interested at while at Stowe, you can take the Gondola from the Mt Mansfield base up to the top of the mountain and enjoy the views while having a meal at the restaurant. $22 each on the Gondola, but a good way to fill your camera.