We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava

Which Sighetu Marmatiei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava

My sister and I will be in Romania in April 2014, and would like to travel to Bratislava for the second part of our trip. The last city we plan to be in while in Romania is Sighet. Our tentative plan is to drive to Oradea to return our rental car, then travel by train from Oradea to Bratislava. This would involve an approximate four-hour drive, followed by a nearly 13-hour train trip on an overnight train. We are wondering if there is a better option. We are not locked into returning the car to Oradea, and are also willing to travel to Vienna, rather than Bratislava. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Maramures
Level Contributor
595 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava

Not easy do you really need the car around Sighet, probably the nearest town to Sighet to return a car would be Baia Mare. From here you can take a train to Valeia Lui Mihail, take the small train to Debrecen and on to Budapest and either vienna or Bratislava. Or if you go from Sighet try this but its an adventure. Cross the boarder to Ukraine you can get a bus from across the boarder to Uzgherod. From here get the bus to Kosic and train on to Bratislava. That may take longer but i guess it might be rather exciting, i heard Uzgherod is well worth a visit.

Rob

Israel
Destination Expert
for Romania
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava

Hey

my Idea is to left the car some where near train station to go to budapest by night train with sleeper.

so there is 1 night train that start from brasov and the closest place to sighet is

the city BECLEAN 130 k"m south to sighet .

so return the car lets say at baia mare and continiu to Dej Calatori it is the station after beclean

or finish your trip with the car south at bistrita for exapmle if you can and from

there go to beclean .

train number IC 406 depart beclean at 00:23 and depart dej at 00:55 and arrive to budapest

next morning at 08:20.

budapest - bratislava is 2.45 hours with train and budapest - vienna is 3 hours .

so most of your trip is by sleep ( - :

or as rob mention :

BAIA MARE - VALEA LUI MIHAI - DEBRECEN - BUDAPEST

6.5 hours just the trip with the train

Edited: 4:51 pm, January 16, 2014
Israel
Destination Expert
for Romania
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava

THERE is also direct train from baia mare to debrecen .

one daily train depart baia at 04:14 and arrive debrecen at 08:48 .

United States
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I will check into them.

Debrecen, Hungary
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava

Hello

If you take the train from Baia Mare to Debrecen, from Debrecen it is easy to go to Vienna (one change in Budapest) or Bratislava. For trains' timetable in Hungary check: www.elvira.hu (upside, left chose English).

Reply to: Best way to travel from Sighet to Bratislava
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sighetu Marmatiei
More Sighetu Marmatiei Topics