We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking of visting malta first time ,new years holiday

Which Bugibba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
thinking of visting malta first time ,new years holiday

right if you could help i would be grateful,me and wife and 9 year old daughter useully go to benidorm for late dec for a week,we fancy a change to a new country, plus we dont want to pay threw the nose for it, a few questions if you dont mind?

1how much for beer/wine/ meals?

2weather in late december

3 best resort to go to and it it open and busy that time of year?

4 all inclussive or apartment and if ai what hotels?

any help would be great t

1. Re: thinking of visting malta first time ,new years holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, June 04, 2012
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking of visting malta first time ,new years holiday

Hi.

Malta is an excellent place to spend new year . I say this from experience as I have spent the last 15 new year there.

As an all year round resort most places will be open. There may be a few bars closed but there will be lots and lots open.

Shops will all be open as will nearly all restaurants and cafes.

Beer can be found from one euro upwards. An average in many of the bars is between 1.50 to 2.00 euros a pint . Of course some hotels may charge more.

A bottle of wine from a couple of euros ( from supermarkets ) up.

An average meal about 10.00 euros but little snack shops called pastizerias will feed you well for a euro or so..

Weather in December ??

It can varey and I don`t have a crystal ball but you can bet your life it will be a damned sight better than UK.

It`s very often sunny during the day but gets chilly ( or even very cold ) at night.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees so the best way to look at it is there is nothing you can do about it so just enjoy all the wonderfull things Malta has to offer.

Best resort ----- either St Julians or the Bugibba / Qawra area.

Both area have plenty of life but Bugibba may be the lower price.

The answer to your next question is purely my personal opinion and I am sure others may disagree with me.!

I always think that the best choice is half board in a hotel.

The reason I say this is that the difference in cost between half board and either self catering or bed and breakfast is a lot less than the cost of buying meals out every day,

All Inclusive always seems a lot of extra money for a lunch you proberbly don`t want , and have to return for every day , and a few beers etc that as I have alreadt stated can be bought cheaply enough elswhere.

As I said this is just my opinion after all the years I have been coming to Malta.

Have an enjoyable stay.

Graham

glasgow
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thinking of visting malta first time ,new years holiday

Hiya

I'm just back from two weeks in Bugibba. I would recommend you stay somewhere like Bugibba as oppose to a bigger town like St Julians, as they get busy at night with locals partying!

Bugibba is very child friendly there are loads of kids running around the main square, eating out at various restaurants. There is only a small sandy beach here though - the rest is rocky but some areas are definitely shallow enough to paddle in. The water is crystal clear in Bugibba, though may not be as warm in December!

Malta now uses Arriva buses and the station in Bugibba has buses that will allow you to explore the island - a daily or weekly ticket is very cheap and it doesnt take long to get anywhere in Malta, its a tiny place. I would recommend booking airport taxi in advance - for 3 people it'll cost same as bus anyway and then its stress free and sit back and relax. I used holidays taxis via TravelRepublic.co.uk

There are plenty of boat cruises etc to keep yous busy, a marine park with sea lion/ dolphin shows, a water park and museums etc.

Eating out is same as at home - lots of choice of different cuisines, fairly priced in most places, unless you seek out more up scale restaurants. Big portions, cheap local wines and beers.

I definitely recommend Malta - it's an 'easy' place to visit - flight is short, everyone speaks English - but the scenery is incredible, people are welcoming and friendly, Maltese culture remains there is a lot of history and atmosphere. I didn't get round exploring everything in two weeks.

I stayed in the Triton apartments in Bugibba. Very much recommend it, actually sounds ideal for you as it has a big double room and a single room too. Loads of space, cooking facilities etc, small garden. You can see the reviews on here and I can send you the owners contact if you need. It is very reasonably priced for an excellent standard of accommodation - half the price of a hotel and is a true home from home.

Hope this helps - give me a shout if you want to ask anything

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking of visting malta first time ,new years holiday

been in malta last 3 new years ,in bugibba area,weather has been sunny morns,and day chills at night,,some rain but not to bad.plenty to do and see,everything cheapish compared to home,ireland,going in 3 weeks again enough said,,,,,,enjoy

5. Re: thinking of visting malta first time ,new years holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations