We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriva buses

Which Bugibba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Donegal Town...
Level Contributor
338 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
arriva buses

I checked the website , is it true you can get an all day bus ticket for just 1.50 euro . If so thats terrific :)

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: arriva buses

Oh come on. Just google 'tourist tax' and you will see that every country in some way taxes their tourists and favours their residents - and quite rightly too. Maltese people rely on the bus service to get to work - no trains - and pay through their own taxes for the infrastructure. Why should we lucky visitors not contribute? Why not complain that the airlines are taxing our leisure trips and treating us worse? We have heard enough complaints about ramshackle, un-airconditioned buses - (although not from me, who will miss their undoubted charm..) and now we are baulking at helping pay for the upgrades? We have residents parking permits, OAP free bus and train passes, cheap entry to local authority gyms and swimming pools etc. - none of which are available to visitors. Get some perspective here.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,549 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: arriva buses

Why do you say 5.20 euros for a short trip to the market ?

An all day ticket is 2.60 euros .

Graham

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: arriva buses

@LondonMaryD none of the things you listed are really a necessary service though for those who are able bodied are they?

Sure I have no problem with free bus passes for OAPs, but the rest, "residents parking permits, cheap entry to local authority gyms and swimming pools" aren't a neccessity. Parking where you are a resident and leisure activities can't really compare with a public transport service.

For those going on holiday and either can't drive or choose not to while abroad then a public bus service is there to serve the public, regardless of where you come from.

Whats next? A tourist tax on pavement repairs for the thousands of tourists feet who walk around Malta helping damage countless miles of pavement with all their... walking! After all, the locals need to get around on these pavements, why should us pesky tourists walk on them for free and cost the country money.

The tourist industry is worth millions if not billions for most countries, the fact that tourists visit a country already has a huge impact on the country itself, with money being spent there, jobs in the tourist trade being created. Malta should be encouraging more tourists, not penalising them for visiting.

Arriva is a private company out to make profit, not a government service. Is the government subsidising "locals" transport? if so then shame on them for my reasons in the paragraph above.

</rant over>

ptrevor4
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: arriva buses

hi there I have to take the wife.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: arriva buses

Graham

Presume it meant for two people. 2.60 x 2.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: arriva buses

Do not want to agree with anyone but if I remember right a bus day ticket in London is £4 and a week ticket is £ 18 .

Why all the noise about 2.60 and 13 euro in Malta ?

Couls have the numbers wrong but close to the mark , as I have not used the buses yet !!!

Storm in an eggcup IMO !!!

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: arriva buses

No offence 643amc but the price of one thing in the UK can hardly be compared to the price of something in Malta. My personal gripe is the price between the tourist price and the local price.

As you say (i don't know if they are correct) but if the prices are £4 and £18 in London then they are £4 and £18 whoever you are and no matter where you're from or how long you've been here or are staying for.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: arriva buses

Please let's not deviate too far from the question the lady who is coming to Malta in September has asked.

She doesn't seem to be bother about the difference bewteen her bus fares and the local's. All she wants is to enjoy her week in Malta and has asked someone to recommend places to go and see using her weekly bus.

Depending on what her interests are, but I, for one, would recommend: Valletta, Mosta, M'dina and a Marxalokk. There are obviously so many other interesting places, monuments, ancients cites and obviously the beaches and cafes/bars & restuarants.

I hope that any further comments to follow on this forum focus on what the visitors to Malta do ask.

Cheers

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,549 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: arriva buses

Sorry cas 11, don`t like to split hairs but OP only asked about fares not where to go but I think you did right by suggesting several places that can be visited on the bus.

Graham

20. Re: arriva buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 08, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations