We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eco-Voucher

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eco-Voucher

Have just received my tickets for a trip to Malta in January

in the booklet it mentions that we are now obliged to buy an Eco-Voucher before departing Malta for euro.3.50 per person.

I have not come across this before can anyone enlighten me on this "tax"

Thanks all and a Merry Xmas

Maggie x

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eco-Voucher

You have to , repeat Must , pay the Eco Tax as it is obligatory or else you cannot leave Malta Airport !Usually it is added to the ticket price , but some companies do not collect tax for the Government !!

Welcome to Malta

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Eco-Voucher

Thanks for clearing up that one

another tax to add to the others we have to pay

ahh well wont let it spoil my holidays

Regards maggie

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eco-Voucher

My style is not to beat around the bush :-)

The UK tax is higher , I think ???

In todays world , the ticket price is less than the airport taxes and charges !!!

Hope you have a nice holiday and feel free to come back with any queries .

www.visitmalta.com

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eco-Voucher

Hi 643

Where do you purchase the vouchers from ?

Maggie

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eco-Voucher

Do not know , as usually I pay it with the airline ticket and never payed it separately !

Will try to ask around ?????

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eco-Voucher

I suggest you ask the travel company that issued the booklet about the voucher and why it isn't included in the ticket price.

When I returned form Malta last week I didn't buy a voucher, see anywhere in the airport selling them or any official checking for purchase.

I assumed that all taxes and charges were hidden in the holiday price.

In places where there are compulsory entry/exit charges not included in ticket prices such as Turkey or NZ they are are usually clearly signed and well publicised

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eco-Voucher

I know a lot of people dont like Ryanair but when I book my tickets to Malta all taxes and charges are included. Mr OLeary has been annoying the Irish Government for the last few years and in this years budget they are reducing the €10 charge as it was down to €3. I looked at flights to Malta 17/24 Janurary for 2 people €89 return including all taxes and charges.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Eco-Voucher

Hi all

Thanks for replies, it looks as if Thomsons are not paying the eco

tax so I have to speak to the rep on arrival, on my return will update the eco voucher for others who may want to know

Merry Xmas all Maggie xx

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eco-Voucher

Just back from Malta. Went with Thompson so got the same book as you. Asked about voucher at hotel, never heard of it. Asked about it at Valleta tourist info, never heard of it they checked with Malta airport, also never heard of it. Searched Malta newspapers found an interview with the tourism minister on 10th December. He mentioned eco vouchers as a proposal they considered but scrapped as they were advised that taxing in this way may be against EU legislation. If any further proof needed we were not asked for anything on exit from Malta. So have a good holiday and don't worry about it any further.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Eco-Voucher

Hi

Thanks for the reply its cleared that one up supposed to have come in July 2010 according to the booklet. Thought it a strange

way to do business, on leaving the airport !! Turkey seems to have got it right £10 to enter there.....

Would have paid it anyway I love Malta

Regards maggie

Get answers to your questions about Bugibba