We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gillieru harbour hotel

south wales.uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
gillieru harbour hotel

is this hotel suitable for my dad and myself my dad is 78yrs and i am 47yrs. My dad has arthritis , so is this location suitable and relatively flat. could someone tell me what weather to expect end of Feb beginning of March,also how far from airport and lastly is the cost of living reasonably or is it expensive to eat out.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

It is a 5-10 a walk to get to buggiba square and qawra and its slightly uphill. You can get buses from the stops by your hotel but a lot of malta is uphill. its about 30-40 mins from airport. dont expect the weather to be great, if its dry itll propbably be around 17 degrees but the chances are youll experience some showers.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

If walking is a problem you might prefer a hotel nearer the square in Bugibba like the Dolmen.

There are lots of reasonably priced restaurants in that area so you shouldn`t have a problem.

Have a look at these sites - they have video clips that should interest you

www.visitmalta.com – the official site. Clic k on views and downloads for video clips, 360 degrees and E-brochures. Also go to the interactive map and click on `towns and villages` you`ll find some videos clips and all the info you should need

www.supercities.eu – a SUPER site made up entirely of video clips. Includes video clips of the larger hotels

www.heartofmalta.com – lots of good info with video clips of hotels and localities

www.starwebmalta.com – bars, restaurants etc listed according to locality

As regard weather - this year has been really strange. A couple of days ago it rained all day, then these last two days it`s been lovely. However, it`s practically always warm enough to sit at a cafe outdoors for a coffee,

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

As said by others , there is a bit of distance to the centre if walking is a problem.

Try , the San Antonio or the other central hotels in Bugibba.

Bugibba is about 10 miles from the airport.

The weather will not be hot but you could be lucky and get a week of sunshine. As others have said there is the possibility of some showers , usually for a short time between good weather. It can get cool in the evening and when its windy .

Cost of living is reasonable if you shop around in the many eating out places in the centre and about.

Regrettably the Pound is not very good against the Euro, but deals can yet be made.

west yorks
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

The San Antonio ,and the Dolman are very near to the bus station,which may be important to your stay,I would reccomend to ask for a sea view ,as work going on to rear of San Antonio,hope you enjoy Malta,please dont fall for the timeshare touts near bus station a firm no thanks is best policy.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

I have looked at some of the other replies and agree with alteerante choices.

I think it really does depend on what you are looking for. The difference in distance to the main square between Gilleriu and other offerings is negligible. I think the Gilleriu is an easier walk. The main difference is that as others have said is the location for the bus terminus and a greater variety of eateries pharmacies etc.

A sea view room at the Gilleriu is very nice though.

lanarkshire
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

we have used gillieru hotel last ten years summer and winter smaller hotel in a lovely location a small rise to a flat prom will take you into bugibba with plenty of seats for a wee rest the food in hotel we find is very good staff lovely and very helpful i would sugest a side sea veiw as when you plan to go you will get sun earlier than a pool veiw room over the road from hotel is a great cafe with the best toasties ever the owner is very nice the hotel has a welcoming feeling as it not to big when i was there at christmas a few hotels in bugibba and quara were closed for winter been to malta for last 25 years in aera you plan to visit used several hotels gillieru has been the best for me

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

sandonlanarkshire - Thanks for giving us details of your stay at the Gillieru. It`s good to know as many people would enjoy staying slightly out of the centre of Bugibba for a more relaxing atmosphere.

Keep in touch.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

Hi Lynys

We too have stayed at the Gillieru on three occasions, it is a smaller friendly hotel, albeit a little tired, but it is acceptable and comfortable. As Sandon said a side sea view is best really. The full sea views over the pool in Winter doesn't get the sun at all, but the side ones overlooking the little working harbour and towards Xemxijia , gets the sun from late morning until sunset. Lovely for your dad to sit out on. Also agree the cafe over the road is fantastic for a nightcap of hot chocolate and apple pie!

I don't know who you are thinking of booking with but we have been through Chevron and Malta Direct taking half board. The brochure said deduct £2 or £3 for B&B. Due to the low we paid the full price and didn't feel guilty on the occasions we ate out rather than at the hotel. The food was quite edible but fairly basic: a choice of three starters, 3 mains, with one potatoes and veg option. They also can do a packed lunch instead of evening meal if you book it the night before - maybe an option if you want to go out for the day and eat out in the evening.

If you hire a car, parking is easy in front of the hotel. The walk into Bugibba has a couple of slight rises, but it really is a pleasant walk. If your Dad can't walk up to the high street where the busses pass though in both directions, there is a bus stop right by the hotel that will take you into the terminus where then you can get other busses out. Scuba mentioned pharmacies, there is one just up the road at the St. Paul's Bay end of the prom. Peasons is a nice little bar that does great food at a reasonable price, we at there a lot last year, as we were in a flat self catering about 100 yards up the road from the Gillieru.

We stayed in the exact same location as the view is simply stunning.

Regards Trisha

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

Some relations of mine stayed at the Gillieru for their honeymoon some 67 years ago , when it had just a few rooms to rent.

I grew up hearing stories of their stay and looking at tiny black and white photo`s.

10. Re: gillieru harbour hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St. Paul's Bay