We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta in February 2009

Texas
12 posts
Save Topic
Malta in February 2009

Hello, My wife and I plus daughter (infant) are going to Malta in February 2009. This will be our first time visiting and I was just wondering what to expect. I have read the reviews of some people and alot have been talking bad about Malta and hotels in Malta. What will the weather be like? Which hotels are good ones? What places/things should we visit/do? Feel free to add any important info that you may think will come in handy!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta in February 2009

Sorry to be brief but very busy right now

why don't you try this link for things to do and search on this site by using the query box at the top

choosemalta.com/en/about-malta/101-things-to…

will be back later

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta in February 2009

Hi

What sort of hotels are you looking for - few of the good ones are

Hilton, Radisson SAS, Corinthia San Gorg, Westin Dragonara, Juliani - all in St Julians. Palace in Sliema, Xara Palace (pretty expensive) in Mdina, Phonoecia and Excelsior in Valletta (actually just on the outskirts). If you want something a bit cheaper try Preluna in Sliema, Victoria in Sliema

There's loads more give us some more info and we will try to help

Weather will not be hot or swimming weather - it is winter but still fairly pleasant. When the sun is out you could wander about in a shirt but it gets chilly out of the sun or in the evenings. You will need long trousers and layers with a jacket or coat in the evenings and on cloudy/windy days

Texas
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta in February 2009

So, I will not be able to swim even during the day. Bummer! Well, is it still worth the trip to go to an island if you cannot swim? Basically, are there going to be other things to do? Keep in mind, that i do have to take a vacation that month.

This one website suggested Porto Azzuro in St. Paul's Bay and is like an apartment set-up. I thought that could keep the cost down or is this place a nightmare. What is a reasonable price to pay for a GOOD hotel. I will be traveling with my wife and daughter (infant), so safety is more important than price.

How much is to ferry to Italy for the day or so?

Thanks for all the answers and inputs!

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta in February 2009

You would have to be pretty hardy to swim in February. Yes Malta is definitely worth visiting even if you can't swim. It has lots to see and do, is steeped in history, WW2 history and also neolithic temples plus lots more inbetween.

Check out the hotels I mentioned on this website for the dates you are interested in to get an idea of prices. February is not high season so you should be able to get some good deals.

Not sure about St Paul's Bay in Winter, might be a bit quiet, someone else might be able to give you more information on that.

Hat will post a whole load of websites that might be of interest to you. You could do a search on her posts and find them if she doesn't

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta in February 2009

JKOGREY, don't get the impression that the Maltese islands are laid back island, and just good for the see and sun! These islands have a rich history, dating back to BC. Some of the places of interest you may visit in Winter:

Mdina (the old Capital of Malta);

Stone Heritage Museum:

Falconry;

Classic Car Museum;

Fort Rinela (the world's largest gun);

definately Valletta and especially Baraka Gardens;

Hagar Qim and Mndajra Temples (sorry...not sure whether it should be spelled so)..!;

Hypogeum;

then in Gozo:

the Citadel, and all the museums within:

crafts village;

folk museums in Gharb and Xaghra;

Ggantija temples;

toys museum in Xaghra;

maritime museum;

the narrow roads of Victoria;

salt pans;

quarries;

and lots more, which i bet you can't visit all, even should you stay a month!

We visit Gozo regularly (almost quarterly) and have not yet been to all the places of interest in these lovely islands!

Maybe you should consider Gozo also in your plans! That's my advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta in February 2009

and by the way, February is not a peak time, therefore accommodation and car hire can be quite cheap!

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta in February 2009

Good list Magnusson - it's Mnajdra pronounced Imnighdrah Nigh as in night without the t

I'd add Marsaxlokk fishing village and the three cities across the harbour from Valletta - Cospicua, Senglea and Vittoriosa. Also Rabat with it's Roman Villa, catacombs and fabulous pastizzi - it's right next door to Mdina

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta in February 2009

Sorry to disapoint you as regards swimming - however, I very much doubt that there are any Med. countries in which you could swim in the sea in February.

Many of the larger hotels have indoor or heated outdoor pools.

As regards safety, that`s no problem whereever you stay on the island. People go out jogging in the dark at 4 a.m. or return home late at night with no problem.

Coming from Texas, maybe you don`t realise how small Malta is.

Go on the Malta Forum, don`t limit yourself just to one town.

Please don`t think I`m being rude but as you ask whether there is anything to do apart from swimming, it`s obvious you don`t know much about Malta.

Have a look at these sites especially the video links and the e-brochures =

www.visitmalta.com – the official site. Click on views and downloads for video clips, 360 degrees and E-brochures. Also go to the interactive map and click on `towns and villages` you`ll find some videos clips and all the info you should need

www.supercities.eu – a SUPER site made up entirely of video clips. Includes video clips of the larger hotels

www.heartofmalta.com – lots of good info with video clips of hotels and localities

www.starwebmalta.com – bars, restaurants etc listed according to locality

www.searchmalta.com - postcards and info

www.heritagemalta.org - details of museums and heritage sights

You can become a Heritage Malta member and enjoy free access to most of the sites and enjoy discounts at museum shops and other benefits.

heritagemalta.org/membership/membership.html

www.101malta.com – faq and good info

www.mymalta.com – a different kind of site

www.holidays-malta.com - subsidiary of Air Malta with good varied info

www.holiday-malta.com – a good side by Euro Resort

www.airmalta.com and www.maltairport.com will give up to date info

www.di-ve.com – a local general info portal

atp.com.mt – regular and direct bus schedules

choosemalta.com/en/about-malta/101-things-to…

www.chevron.co.uk – a lot of info also good calendar of events

www.maltadirect.com www.ownersdirect.com

www.malta-information.com - big choice

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk - has villas

www.gomaltatravel.com - big choice

www.malta-info.co.uk - varied

www.gozo.gov.mt – the official site

www.guidegozo.com – lots of general info.

www.gozo1234.com - accomodation

www.gozobreak.com - accomodation

9. Re: Malta in February 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, October 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St. Paul's Bay