We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fredericksburg to Richmond

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fredericksburg to Richmond

Hello:

I will be staying in Fredericksburg and plan on spending one full day in Richmond. What time should I leave in the morning? I've heard about traffic so I'm wondering if I should leave later, or earlier. I have several things I want to see in Richmond.

First, the Museum of the Confederacy and White House, the Virginia Capital/Capitol building, I've heard there's a Lincoln Walk (trying to find info on that), Monument Avenue, and Hollywood Cemetery. I'm into the Civil War history, hence my choices.

Is all of this possible in one day? I'm hoping with daylight savings going on, the sun will be out longer so I can hit the Monument Avenue last and still be able to see and appreciate the monuments.

And again, what time should I leave Richmond for Fredericksburg? I don't care how late.

Thanks for any/all replies,

jc

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

It takes aprox. 1 hr 15 min to get from Fredericksburg to Richmond via I-95. The Virginia State Capitol is open from 8"00am to 5:00pm Monday to Saturday, shorter hours on Sunday. WWW.virginiacapitol.gov

The White House of the Confedercay opens at 10:00 am and is not to far from the Capitol. I would also suggest visiting the Richmond National Battlefield Park Center at the Tredigar iron Works. www,nps.gov/richmond national battlefield park. Monument Ave is open 24/7 and quite unique. I would not drive it between 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm due to rush hour. The Monuments are lit. ( or used to be). Enjoy your visit. Hope that this helps.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

If you leave Fredericksburg around 8:30 to 9, traffic will be winding down by the time you get to Richmond. That will get you to Richmond around 10. I think your day is doable if you go the Capitol for the tour and then Museum of the Confederacy in the morning and early afternoon, then hit Hollywood after a late lunch, later in the afternoon. It will work if you move through museums fairly quickly. Monument you can catch on your way out of town.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

Oh this is excellent info. Thank you!

About the Monument Avenue. I was thinking of parking and walking. Is there plenty of parking in the neighborhood?

And lastly, do you know anything about a "Lincoln Walk?" A specific route he took during the last days? I thought I saw something but I could be mistaken.

Again, thanks for the info. As usual, I wish I had more time to see everything and go even farther south.

jc

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

You should be able to find parking on the street on Monument Ave or its side streets, just watch parking signs carefully. I walk Monument Ave almost every morning and it is a very pleasant walk.

I haven't heard about a Lincoln Walk. I checked here:

http://tinyurl.com/mv9qzrn

and here

www.richmondhistorycenter.com/calendar/

and found some interesting walking tours, but none specific to Lincoln. I can especially recommend the tours offered by Richmond History/Valentine.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

Thanks 22Tango. I must have read about it for another city. I think I will have a full day without it, but I'll check out those links. Thanks!

jc

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

Be advised, that the free, State History Museum (on "Boulevard") is closed all year for renovation.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

Okay, I found my notes and the Lincoln Walk I was thinking of is called "Lincoln's Final Steps" and it's farther south in the Cold Harbor and Petersburg area, Grant's cabin, etc. I knew I'd seen it, I just had the wrong city. Thanks for checking for me!

jc

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

Hello again, I am revisiting Monument Avenue in my notes, and it looks like kind of a far walk. I am interested in walking from Jeb Stuart to Stonewall Jackson's monuments. Not that the others beyond are not important, it's just that this will be my event on my way out of Richmond, probably around 6:00 p.m. and these are the four monuments I really want to see. Approximately how far is it between Stuart and Jackson? I would like to just park and then walk.

One other question, the monumentss are in roundabouts ~ can we cross to the monuments, or only view them from far away?

Thanks again for all your help,

jc

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
27 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

A busy, but do able day. There is an excellent tour of Hollywood Cemetery, I believe it is at 10am daily, it is led by the Valentine Museum so either website should help you.

You certainly can park on Monument Ave and cross to all of the statues. Walking down the middle of the grass way is a nice way to see both sides. Go to Robin Inn or Garnett's Cafe and then head back to F'burg.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fredericksburg to Richmond

Oh great! So I can walk on the grassy median. I was wondering about that too!

I know it's going to be a full day, but I only have one day in Richmond. As long as I keep my eye on the clock, I should be able to see all I want to see.

Thank you :)

jc