We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Richmond to Dulles

Richmond, Virginia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Richmond to Dulles

I have a 10:20 international flight out of Dulles on Friday May 16th. I live in the West End of Richmond. What time should I leave Richmond to be sure I leave myself enough time?

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Richmond to Dulles

Allow three hours for security, minimum two hours for drive, five am is latest you should leave. factor in parking and getting from the long term lots to the terminal via shuttle, leaving at four would be better.

It might save you time and stress and money to stay overnight at one of the airport hotels and take their shuttle to the airport in the am, some of the hotels have a deal on parking your car there if you stay before the trip. Or check rates for Groome transportation shuttle from Richmond airport to Dulles.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Richmond to Dulles

I'm assuming you mean 10:20 and not 22:20? I live in Goochland county and nine times out of ten will take US-522 to Rt 15/29 up to 66. I avoid all the potential traffic problems on 95. It's a longer distance, but usually it ends up to be a shorter drive once you calculate the stop-and-go traffic on 95 (or worse, traffic at a stand still). It's definitely better to get there sooner rather than later; I wouldn't risk missing the flight. I'd plan to get to IAD between 7:20-7:40 (or 19:20-19:40), get through security, and just chill in the terminal.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Richmond to Dulles

I would say, around 4am to be safe.

That would leave you 3 hours for the drive, 45 minutes to park, and 2.5 hours for security.

As long as you get to the DC BEFORE the morning rush hour starts you should be good. I don't think you will need the full 3 hours for driving (probably just 2), but that's really the only thing that can REALLY swing, time wise, and mess up your plans. You just never know with that stretch of 95.

Good luck!

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Richmond to Dulles

I live near Dulles Airport - the morning rush on a Friday and the Friday Security lines at IAD Airport -- I think the 4 - 4:30 AM departure time is not unreasonable to consider. Just drove back and forth to Richmond this past weekend - 95 is undependable! To avoid the traffic nearer to town take 95 to 234 to IAD. Google maps will show you the way!

5. Re: Driving from Richmond to Dulles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 30, 2015