We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richmond for the weekend - vineyards?

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Richmond for the weekend - vineyards?

My fiance and I live in DC and are looking for some fun weekend trips. We don't have a car so we'd have to take Amtrak. My coworker mentioned that there are some great vineyards near Richmond... are there any you would recommend that we could get to easily / semi-easily? And are they worth visiting in November?

Any other suggestions for what to do in Richmond would be appreciated!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Richmond for the weekend - vineyards?

There are a couple of wineries near Richmond, but a vineyard, being a farm, is located outside the city, just like the vineyards around DC, which are far better in my opinion. I don't see how you could get to them easily without a car. If you were to stay downtown, and without a car that would make the most sense, James River Winery would be the closest. But I'll bet a taxi there and back to downtown would cost a fair amount of money. I'm not sure the experience, though nice, would be worth it, especially if the weather doesn't allow you to sit outside after your tasting. Check their website and decide what you think.

There's plenty to do in the downtown Richmond if you don't have a car. I think it would make a fun weekend trip from DC. I don't know anything about your interests though, so why don't you check

www.visitrichmondva.com/

and see if anything there interests you, then come back and ask more questions.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Richmond for the weekend - vineyards?

James River Transportation does winery tours out of Richmond and Williamsburg:

jamesrivertrans.com/services/…

This does sound like a fun trip!

3. Re: Richmond for the weekend - vineyards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 28, 2013