We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train Richmond to Washington

Guelph, Ontario...
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
train Richmond to Washington

I'm planning on taking the train from Richmond to Washington on a Thursday afternoon/evening. Is Amtrak my only option? Is there any benefit to buying a ticket ahead of time? I'm not sure what time I'll be able to leave so I don't really want to buy a ticket tied to a specific time.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train Richmond to Washington

It's a little cheaper to buy ahead. I looked on Jan. 26 and Feb. 16, and the difference was $9, one way. There are no other trains, but there may be bus service. You'll have many more time options with the Staples Mill Station (RVR) vs. the Main Street Station (RVM). Go to www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer… to search for your options on Amtrak.

Mentioned in this post
Main Street Station
Main Street Station
26 Reviews
Richmond, VA
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train Richmond to Washington

Yes, Amtrak is the only option. Tickets are cheaper ahead of time. I believe prices start going up 2 weeks in advance

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train Richmond to Washington

Have traveled by train to Washington many times. Very enjoyable train trip - pay the extra and travel business class - bigger seats, more leg room, free drinks in cafe car, less crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train Richmond to Washington

Amtrak is your only TRAIN option, but there is Greyhound Bus and the MegaBus (for which you purchase tickets online - cheaper if you buy sooner and direct to DC).

missouri
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train Richmond to Washington

I second the MegaBus option. They run several more routes a day and pick up/drop off across the street from Main Street Station and at Union Station in DC. I've seen fares for $1 and think that a couple of weeks early I was able to make a round trip between Richmond and DC for less than $5 back in the fall.

Trip takes about 2 hours vs. 3 1/2 by train (lots of stops).

Seats are actually pretty roomy/comfy. Similar to train setup. Plus on the bus that I was on, there were outlets available at every seat to plug in your phone/laptop/etc.

Disadvantage is that you don't get to walk around much, no cafe car, etc. But then again, on a shorter trip I'm not sure how much that matters to you.

Mentioned in this post
Main Street Station
Main Street Station
26 Reviews
Richmond, VA
6. Re: train Richmond to Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, May 03, 2013