We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best driving route

ocean city
Level Contributor
354 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best driving route

hello, we are traveling from the eastern shore of maryland near oc to richmond on a thursday morning in dec. is the best route 64 or 95?thanks

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
530 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best driving route

64? Would you be considering the Bridge-Tunnel? That's ex$pen$ive.

You could take the Bay Bridge, then pick up 301 South near Bowie, MD. 301 joins I-95 south of Fredericksburg, VA. Well south of the general mayhem of the DC-Fredericksburg, corridor.

When heading to Richmond from Baltimore, we usually take 301. Once through Waldorf traffic becomes a non-issue.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best driving route

I agree- Bay Bridge then make your way down 301 to Fredericksburg and then 95 to Richmond. Maybe bail off route 50 onto 2 through Edgewater and then Central Ave. (214) to 301. I would post in the Maryland forum to see how bad the morning commuter traffic is through these areas.

For best luck, also advise to travel as EARLY as possible. I hit this area about 6:30 on a Friday morning over the summer, and was smooth.

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best driving route

I would say it's a toss up between

Rt 13 south to Rt. 64 west

or Rt. 50 west to Rt. 301 south to Rt. 95 south.

I have done both many times and have a slight preference for Rt. 13 and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

It does cost $12 for a regular vehicle. There is a rest stop with a restaurant/gift shop near the southern end of the tunnel. I like to stop to enjoy the scenery.

If you take Rt. 50 west, you'll have a $2.50 toll at the Bay Bridge and a $4.00 toll at the Potomac River Bridge.

Either route will give you a mix of rural/small town scenery and urban/suburban congestion.

Enjoy your trip.

Salisbury MD
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best driving route

we make this trip often! ( grandchildren visit...) Always travel south on 13, across the Bridge Tunnel,and then through Norfolk to 64 west. It's not worth it to go north and across the Bay Bridge and then start south. Remember the Bay bridge toll has gone up also for your trip home.

Just another bit of information, we usually stop in NewPort News at Victory Blvd for lunch...easy to get off and rather easy to get back on.

5. Re: best driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 20, 2012