We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Faberge Show at VMFA

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Special Faberge Show at VMFA

Has anyone been to the special Faberge exhibit that began last month at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and can you comment as to whether you thought it was worth the $15 per person admission?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Faberge Show at VMFA

I'm going on Sunday, so I'll come back to this thread and let you know what I thought of it. The VMFA had a Faberge exhibit some years ago, I think it had to be the late 90s, and it was very well done, so I'm expecting this one to be very good as well.

If you have never been to this museum, it is one of the nicest things in Richmond. They opened an entire new side last year after many years of construction, and it's really a gorgeous museum.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Faberge Show at VMFA

I went to this exhibit last Sunday and it was very well done. They had all 5 of the VMFA Faberge eggs of course, plus a few they borrowed from other institutions. There were many, many other Faberge pieces as well.

We did the audio tour (another $5) and found it to be a helpful adjunct to the pieces being displayed. I found the tour to be very similar to the one they had about 15 years ago. If you saw that one, you may not need to see this one, but if you've never seen the breadth of Faberge works presented here, it is well worth the price. The attention to detail, some that you would require a magnifying glass to appreciate properly, is absolutely unparalleled.

We like to look at everything, and we spent about 2 hours at the exhibit.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Faberge Show at VMFA

Thanks for the report. I am sure that my wife and I would probably spend as much time as you did on the Faberge exhibit, as we tend to spend a lot of time looking at items on display in museums. Am I correct that in addition to the Faberge exhibit, there are enough other things to see at VMFA that we could spend close to a whole day there?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Faberge Show at VMFA

If you really want to try to see everything, you could easily spend a day. Be sure to refresh yourself with a delicious lunch at Amuse, the new bistro in the museum. It's worth a trip even if you aren't there to see the art.

5. Re: Special Faberge Show at VMFA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 11, 2012