We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in downtown with kids

Ladera ranch, calif
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in downtown with kids

I've read a few posts about the downtown area not being kid friendly. We were considering staying at the Berkley Hotel and taking the canal cruise close by. My kids are 11 and 13 and we will be going in April. Is it not that safe to walk around in the early evening?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in downtown with kids

Are you sure the canal cruises will be open in April? I don't know when they start.

Early evening you should be fine as there will be restaurant patrons out walking around.

Ladera ranch, calif
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in downtown with kids

The canal cruises start on April 1st.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in downtown with kids

Early evening is fine to walk around that area. After 10 PM, there will be a partying crowd in that area, so not as kid-friendly.

Orlando, FL
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in downtown with kids

I would recommend looking into the THe Hilton Garden Inn Situated in the former Miller and Rhoads Department Store building, the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Richmond, Virginia combines historic charm with modern amenities. They offer 100% non-smoking hotel boasts well-appointed guestrooms and extended-stay suites, making it perfect for both business and leisure travelers., from an onsite restaurant, indoor pool, and fitness center to meeting and event space, 24-hour business center, and free Wi-Fi. They are in a convenient downtown locale puts shops, museums, and attractions at your fingertips. Accessing their Richmond, Virginia hotel is a snap as they're close to I-95 and I-64. While you are in Richmond a visit to the Children's Museum down Broad St is a treat! The canal cruise is interesting bring a wind breaker!

There is the Marriott and the Omni but I prefer the Hilton Garden Inn due to its near location to restaurants I like. If you were willing to go south I would highly recommend the Great Wolf Lodge in Toano/Williamsburg VA area.

Edited: 7:42 pm, February 16, 2011
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in downtown with kids

At 11 and 13, your kids will be too old to enjoy the Children's Museum.

6. Re: Staying in downtown with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 11, 2012