We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Richmond

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Richmond

My husband and I have 2 nights to get from Washington DC to Charleston by car. We have looked at maps etc and are not sure where to spend those two nights. Wondering if there is much to see in Richmond and if anyone can advise on suitable accommodation under $150 night. We had thought about driving straight to Wilmington but think this might be too long for one days driving. So maybe Richmond and Wilmington prior to arriving in Charleston.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Richmond

There are things to see in Richmond, but since you are coming all the way from Australia, I'd want to use my time as wisely as possible.

I recommend that you leave DC and go to Charlottesville, and visit Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home and farm, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It's only about 2 hours from DC, so you could leave in the morning, spend the better part of the day at Monticello, stay the night in Charlottesville, and then continue on your journey as planned.

Leaving DC you can take I-66 W to Rt 29 into Charlottesville.

Charlottesville is well represented by all the major chain hotels and you should be able to find a room there in that price range.

Mechanicsville
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Richmond

Richmond is a wonderful place to visit. Take in the botanical gardens, go for a canal cruise dowtown, take in some Civil War sites. And certainly there are so many restaurants to choose from. If you are looking for a hotel that is convenient to the interstate but away from crazy traffic or dowtown congestion, the Wyndham hotel in Glen Allen is a great place - swimming, golf, resort like. Really nice - I believe the name is Wyndham at Virginia Crossings. I had friends stay there that said it was a beautiful hotel and not too expensive.

Have a safe travel!

New Albany, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Richmond

It really depends on what your interests are. Richmond was the capital of the Confederate states during the American Civil War, so there are many historical sites relating to that conflict in the Richmond area. Jefferson's Monticello is fascinating--the man was a genius and his home reflects his ingenuity. Another unique site in Virginia is Williamsburg. Williamsburg was the first capital city of Virginia and has been restored to its 18th century appearance. If you do go there, watch the introductory movie at the Visitor's center and buy a one day pass that admits you to the important buildings (Governor's Palace, Courthouse, etc.). There's a shuttle service that takes you through the restored area ( no private autos allowed there). A few miles from Williamsburg you'll find Jamestown (the first permanent English settlement in North America) and Yorktown (where the final battle of the American Revolutionary War was fought).

You should be able to get a clean, comfortable room at any of the major hotel chains (Marriot, Hilton, Holiday Inn) for under $150 American. Suburban hotels will be less expensive and will most likely include a simple breakfast (pastries, cereal, fruit/yogurt, coffee). These are usually situated near Interstate highway exits which will provide easy access to any cities you wish to visit. I'm assuming you'll be traveling down I-95 from DC towards Charleston--lots of hotel rooms on that highway corridor.

Edited: 9:07 pm, July 28, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Richmond

Thank you for your great advice. Gives us plenty to think about.

5. Re: One night in Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 26, 2011