We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
75 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Our son's wedding is in June 2011 in Richmond. Reception is at the Main Street Station (1500 E. Main) with wedding at St. Patrick's (215 N. 5th St.). Would like to lodge with out of town guests in nice hotel but something that won't require a second mortgage. I am thinking the Hilton Garden Inn. However, the Jefferson also has its charm. Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions on where to have rehearsal dinner?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Either one of those places would be nice and fairly convenient; the Jefferson being the more expensive of the two.

I would think the Jefferson would be a fabulous place for a rehearsal dinner.

Houston
Level Contributor
75 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Thank you for your response. From searching, it looks like the Jefferson really is the only "real" restaurant in the downtown Richmond area. The other restaurants posted on Trip Advisor look like they are geared more towards college kids or are small home cooking types of places. If I have missed something, please advise.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Not necessarily true. There are a number of very nice fine dining restaurants in the downtown area. The reason I suggested the Jefferson is because I know they have plenty of private rooms available. You didn't say whether that was a requirement, or what the size of your rehearsal dinner might be, but whatever it is, no doubt the Jefferson could handle it.

Houston
Level Contributor
75 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Thank you for your response. Looks like I need to plan on 50-75 people; cocktails before a sit down dinner. While nice, we don't have to stay at the same place as where we host the dinner. Wherever we stay, I will want to reserve a block of rooms for guests and have a hospitality suite available. I am considering the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown, The Berkeley Hotel on East Carey Street, The Jefferson Hotel, the Tobacco Company Restaurant and the Botanical Gardens. Any information on any of these would be helpful.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Out of these choices, I would go with either the Hilton Garden Inn or The Jefferson for your lodging, and The Jefferson or Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden for your rehearsal dinner. The Hilton Garden Inn has opened in the past year in a fabulous renovation of an old department store building, and The Jefferson is always incomparable in their attention to all details. I've had good experience with the caterer at LGBG, and the setting in June would be gorgeous. I don't think you will go wrong with either of these choices; they are both extremely popular, so plan to book soon.

Houston
Level Contributor
75 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

Thank you so much for your input. I truly appreciate your comments.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
403 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

I just happened to check this question and wanted to share my thoughts:

1. The Jefferson is generally considered the most expensive place around. My sister got married there 2 years ago and quite frankly, the food did not impress. But the atmosphere definitely does.

2. Nearby is a restaurant called Chez Foushee. They just started opening one night a week- but otherwise are known for a great place to rent as a rehearsal dinner type place. Great food- at least they used to. And I'm biased b/c that's where we had our rehearsal dinner (albeit 8 years ago). But the bonus- is it's private- just your guests and right near the Jefferson. Not sure the capacity though.

3. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden IS gorgeous. Multiple places to have dinner or rehearsal. And again- that's where I got married :). But they contract with private catering services for a set amount of years and it's since changed since I was there. I heard the new caterer is great. If you reserve the Tea Room (inside a Japanese type building surrounding by oriental gardens and koi fish) it's quite lovely.

4. Downtown- as far as hotels besides the Jefferson? I"m not familiar w/ the Hilton Gardens. But the Berkeley (which you mentioned) is definitely not college crowd type and has a long historic history. It's in a section of town called Shockoe Slip. On the opposite corner is the Omni. I can't speak for the food - but the hotel is nice. And the rooms are nice as well.

Hope some of this helps.

8. Re: June Wedding-Groom's Family & Guests-Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 12, 2010