We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richmond to DC this wknd

Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Richmond to DC this wknd

I will be in Richmond for a long weekend this week, looking to go to DC for the day on Saturday. I'm pretty good at getting around places once I get there, but I need to know the best and quickest way to get to DC from Richmond on a Saturday. Would ideally like a route that would take me to the mall in DC.

Hopefully someone can help :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Richmond to DC this wknd

Get on I-95 and drive North. Keep going all the way in across 14th street bridge.

Get a map and figure out where Union Station is. You can park there for a reasonable rate and use a combination of your feet and Metro to get around where you want from there.

You may also have luck with street parking. Look south of the Mall area. There are a lot of govt. buildings that are quiet on weekends.

I would suggest that you get up and go as early as you can. Even with the weekend, highways going into D.C. still get congested. I was on I-95 near Springfield yesterday, and heading south was bumper-to-bumper for miles.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Richmond to DC this wknd

On a Saturday you won't have any trouble driving right up I-95 (unless there's an accident, which you just never can tell). Regular traffic is easy on Saturdays.

If you don't want to deal with parking in the district, I recommend parking at the Springfield Metro station, which is right off 95, and taking the Metro right to the Mall (I think it's the Orange Line). That's what I would pick for a day trip. But I hate the stress of finding parking. If that doesn't bother you, it's quicker to drive in.

If you want specifics on driving into the district and whatnot, I'd repost this on the DC board.

Have a great trip!

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Richmond to DC this wknd

Parking at suburban metrorail station lots, like Springfield/Franconia, is free of charge on weekends. For station locations, see http://www.wmata.com .

4. Re: Richmond to DC this wknd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 25, 2010