We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

I am going to be driving from Prince William County (Manassas) down 95 to Midlothian this Friday afternoon-specifically Robias Road to the Atlantic Coast Aquatic Club. Need to be there around 4:00.

Looking for a general idea what to expect in the way of traffic hang-ups and other advice. I gather I should take 295 around towards 64 then south from there...via 288?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

If you need to be there by 4 PM you will be well ahead of rush hour traffic, so you can probably take the most direct route. If you're going to the SW side of Richmond, allow about 30 minutes to get across town.

I would take I-95 to the Powhite Parkway, get off at Rt 60, (Midlothian Tpke), and make a right on Huguenot Road until you get to Robious Rd. Make a left on Robious and then a left at the first light.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Good to know. Rush hour around DC can start 2-3 on Fridays.

I got a cheap room at the Sheraton thanks to Hotwire, but then read the reviews on here, and now am thinking we may be huddled in the corner with a can of Raid!

Oh well, it is just to be a flop-house for a swim meet...seen worse.

Thanks for your tips!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Where exactly does Powhite Parkway link into 95? Is it the crazy-looking exit just before Blvd? I am seeing this mixing-bowl type exit north of the city where you link into 64/195 (looking at Google Maps) that is named Downtown Expressway and/or 76.

As long as it is signed, I will be OK. Just want to clarify what to look for.

I am going to be making a mad dash down there to be where I need to be on time, so I don't have any time for wrong turns or a tour of the sketchy parts of Richmond.

Richmond, Va.
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Wanted to drop my 2 cents worth in....The original idea of using 95 to 295 to 64 to 288 may be the better route if you are not familiar with the Richmond area. If you live here, using Powhite/195 makes a lot more sense, it is more direct, quicker. But there are a couple of exits, toll booths, etc that will keep you constantly watching for signs, if you haven't done it before. Made worse by the time constraints you mentioned.

A suggestion may be to use the 95/295/64/288 on the way down, and Powhite/195/95 on the way back just to become familiar with it (when time isn't a major concern) especially if this is a place you may be coming back to if the future.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Well, driving and maps don't scare me at all. I am a planner and like looking at the satellite view of google maps not only to see the roads, but the lay of the land. I am a pretty visual person; often once I look at a map, it is emblazoned in my head, and I don't need to look at it again.

As long as I know what to expect-I am good. You were the first to mention TOLLS, which would have thrown me for a loop, but now I am prepared.

Thanks for your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

I used to sprint down to Richmond all the time-my best girlfriend from High School went to VCU. And I have done many a trip around and through via 95 etc., but I have never been to the West/Southwest side.

Richmond, Va.
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Yeah, I initially hesitated to respond to your concerns about Powhite/195 after seeing where you are from. But if you can drive in/around DC, you've got more of a sense of adventure than most.....

There will be 2 tolls. The first will be just before Powhite crosses Chippenham (Rt. 150), and the second will be near Courthouse Rd.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

To answer your question about the exit, yes it's that 'crazy-looking' exit just before the Boulevard. Exit 79 to be precise. When you're getting off I-95, there'll be 2 lanes exiting there. Stay in the left-most of the 2 lanes. The exit will split: I-195/Powhite Parkway to the left, I-64 West to the right. You will go left. Stay on that road, which will split again: Powhite Parkway to the left, I-195 Downtown Expressway to the right. Keep to the left. Eventually you will cross the James River and go through a toll, which is also at another split for Chippenham Parkway. Stay pretty near the center to continue on the Powhite Parkway. Tolls use EZPass if you've got it; otherwise it's 70 cents at the first toll. I can't remember if the 2nd toll is 50 or 75 cents.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Oh, when it comes to traffic and stupid drivers-lay it on me!

I dream of replacing my front bumper with a large log embedded with railroad spikes.

But I digress...

Thanks SO much for the details. That was exactly what I needed.

Further proof of why TA rocks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving 95 to Midlothian Friday afternoon-what to expect?

Got there no problem. Excellent directions. $.70 first toll, then a quarter when I got off on Midlo Tpk.

Toll booth only had two attendants making change, so if your travels bring you this way, make sure you have lots of change. I got behind some yabbo who didn't have the seventy cents, so the attendant had to take down his plate and write him a citation!

I was advised by a friend at work that it is POW-hite parkway, not Po-WHITE parkway, which was good to know. I understand it is a bone of contention with the locals. Certainly don't want to take a wrong turn, end up in sketchy part of town and be asking for Po-white parkway!

Thanks to everyone for their help! My son swam fast enough to make it to State Championship, so it was worth it.