We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use Groome Transportation

Richmond
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Do not use Groome Transportation

Groome is a very unreliable service.They never have drivers ready for passengers and making a reservation essentially means nothing. I have tried three times to use this service only to get to the booth and not have any car or driver even though a "reservation" had been made. Then I was expected to ride and share a car with other patrons because there were not enough drivers even though I had asked for a private car. Take a cab or hire a real car service and save yourself the aggravation.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

We've had the very same thing happen, multiple times. We have waited 30 minutes or more for a ride, despite having reservations made well in advance, and when a ride came, it was a bus! Nice racket for Groome, as they charged their (steep) usual rate! It was very frustrating as each time it has happened, we were returning home after long flights, trips overseas, etc.

Any suggestions on a GOOD service?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

Regardless of what Groome tells you on the phone, their service from the airport is always a shared car/shuttle service, priced per person. To me, Groome is only a deal if you're a single person. For 2 or more, getting a taxi at the airport works out cheaper. No matter how late I've flown in, taxis are always available at RIC.

When I'm going to the airport, I use Richmond Taxi. Their service is excellent and they drug test their drivers...which if you ever ended up in a taxi with someone you're not totally sure is all there...can be a little hairy.

Richmond, VA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

Agreed. I have had two awful experiences with them. The first time, the cab could not find my house and was 45 minutes late in picking me up to travel to the Richmond airport.

The second time, my company arranged car service for transport to Dulles airport. 30 minutes after my scheduled pickup time, I called Groome and they stated that "they were busy but they were sending a driver out now." An hour after my pickup time,the the driver called and said he was lost, because he was new and didn't normally work this end of town. He had to stop at a gas station, put the gas station attendant on the phone with me, have the attendant explain where they were located and relay directions that way because of his limited English. He was two hours late by the time he picked me up and instead of a car as requested, he showed up in a rickety, bouncy passenger van - to transport ONE person. He then drove below the speed limit the entire way to DC. I had to run through the airport and made my plane only as the gate was closing.

The driver was very upset that he was late and apologized profusely. He obviously was new and only used to doing the cab run between downtown and the airport. My issue was not with him, but with the company, who never should have sent an inexperienced driver, or should at least have provided GPS to the poor guy. The company did not apologize or seem concerned, and thus, they have lost my business forever.

st.catharines
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

Thank you very much for your information about Groome which i was going to book with.Now I will check out taxis!!!

Central VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

When I need a car service, I use Love Limo because I have had good personal experience with them on a number of trips.

They are regular folks, but they drive plenty of VIPs in town, especially race car drivers and NASCAR officials.

lakjfdladsjf
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

I posted this same story on Google Maps...Groome Transportation is the worst, seriously.

We used Groome to book transportation to the airport and also after returning from trip. We used their website to make and pay for reservations and transport. Originally we had scheduled the taxi to pick us up at 4:00 am for a 6:00 am flight (the airport being less than 20 minutes away) to make sure that any delays that were caused by the taxi were offset by the extra time we had planned for. We needed every minute of it. The taxi was over an hour late (we also called several times, and considered making the drive ourselves), and also had other customers that they needed to pick up, cramming 3 people in the back seat. On arrival at the airport the driver wouldn't let us leave until he confirmed with the dispatch office that we did in fact already pay for our reservations via credit card prompting another 10 minute delay. We made our flight with minutes to spare. On return to Richmond, we went to the Groome transportation desk to take our reserved transport back home. I was surprised to learn that they did not have our reservation on file, and that they do not do reservations "online" and that the only reservation that I could have had is from the driver himself, a slip of paper for the return leg of our trip. This is strange because I was able to make reservations to get to the airport online, was charged for those reservations, but they don't accept my online reservations? The driver certainly did not explain any of this to us when we had told him that we were also using the service to get back home. When asked again if he knew what could have happened to my reservations the agent at the desk gruffly explained, "They don't pay me enough to deal with this." We had enough and went outside to hail a taxi. Don't bother with this company...you will be in for a nightmare if you need to get somewhere on time and with respect.

Richmond, VA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

I hear the same stories about Groome over and over. Unreliable, never count on them for a ride to the airport to make a flight on time. I have used the Toyota Camry service from James Limousine as an economical, reliable alternative. They always are on time and help with the luggage.

Richmond
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

I had reserved Groome in July to be picked up at the airport on my return. Like other postings, I waited 45 minutes and had to go in a full van ending up being the last passenger delivered and taking over an hour to get home at 2 am.

NEVER AGAIN!

Richmond
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

My company uses them all the time and I find they are pretty prompt.

Tennessee
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not use Groome Transportation

I have used Groome from Atlanta to Chattanooga many times, as have family members. It is always a pleasure to ride the Groome shuttle - they are clean, courteous, and always on time. It is a shared ride in vans that carry up to 15 people. The ride is 2 hours and a shuttle leaves every hour. I cannot comment on the Groome service in Virginia but between Atlanta and Chattanooga it's excellent.