We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to DC

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
653 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to DC

Hello! I'm going to be traveling on business to Richmond and the car rates are goofy doing a one-way to the DC area. Any suggestions for shuttle/train, etc.? Greyhound is $32 to DC, any other options?

Thanks much!!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to DC

At www.craigslist.com there is a selection called rideshare; you might be able to share a ride with someone from the Richmond area to DC. Also check Richmond airport website for ground transportation options but they're likely to be more costly than Greyhound. Good luck.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to DC

Check Amtrak for train schedules. www.amtrak.com

GRTC also has the 96 Express bus back and forth to Fredericksburg during morning and evening rush hours for $6 (www.ridegrtc.com), from there you can catch the VRE train to DC (www.vre.org). Going southbound, it waits for the train to come in, then loads up and goes to Richmond.

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
653 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to DC

Thanks! I think I'll go with Amtrak, the fare is only $20 with my AAA discount to Alexandria, will hopefully rent a car from there (if the train is on time).

I hear nothing about trains in this area, are they usually on time? Would I be better off with the VRE than Amtrak?

Thanks!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to DC

It's hit or miss with the trains in the DC to Richmond corridor running on time. The reason is that the tracks all belong to CSX and freight takes priority. Sometimes you go straight through and come in pretty much on time; sometimes you sit on a siding for a while and come in 20 minutes late.

It's a lot more comfortable than the Greyhound bus, though, more room, and plenty of electrical outlets so you can work on a computer if you want. But leave yourself some leeway on time.

5. Re: Transportation to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 28, 2009