We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost Tours in Virgina - Other than Williamsburg?

NJ
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Ghost Tours in Virgina - Other than Williamsburg?

Hi Everyone,

I thought maybe the Richmond forum might be a good place to ask this, in addition to the general Virgina forum...

My family will be driving from Baltimore to Virginia Beach in a few weeks, and I thought it might be fun to try a ghost tour somewhere along our route in Virginia.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience to share? I have gotten good recommendations on the Tavern Ghost Tour in Williamsburg, but I was wondering if there was anything in a different area of VA that might be fun to try.

We would lodge somewhere near the event for the evening. It will help break up the drive! The kids are 8, 15, and 18...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Onley, Va
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost Tours in Virgina - Other than Williamsburg?

I was in Richmond last week and did see something about a "haunting tour" They also have a Edgar Allen Poe Museum - it might be related. Since we were only looking for something to occupy us for a few hours during the day we didnt look into it. But I did read about it in the Virginia travel book I have at home, I think.

On another topic - if you do decide on Richmond - the Maymont Park was wonderful. If you have a couple hours to spare the kids would probably enjoy it.

virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost Tours in Virgina - Other than Williamsburg?

Try Old Town Alexandria. Great tour of History and ghosts. The town has a visitor center on King St. where the tour is kicked off.

Newport News...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost Tours in Virgina - Other than Williamsburg?

the ghost tours in VA suck pond water.

try www.virginiaghosts.com to see if they have any upcomming events.

I would stay away from all ghost tours in VA, due to the fact that many of them are trespassing on private properties and lead by un incorporated businesses. The Richmond ghost tour is awful: no bathrooms, no lighting, a lot of walking.

Then, there's Howl-o-scream at Busch Gardens - that's pretty good!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,902 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost Tours in Virgina - Other than Williamsburg?

fakee, that's a pretty blanket condemnation of the ghost tours in Virginia, and an opinion that's not shared universally. Some of the ghost tours, particularly in Williamsburg, are led by educated, informed guides, do not trespass on private property, and are operated by well-organized businesses. I don't have personal knowledge of other ghost tours in Virginia, so I won't comment on them. I will say I've always had good experiences with the various Williamsburg tours, and I would be surprised if there weren't other good ones in Virginia.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
73 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghost Tours in Virgina - Other than Williamsburg?

The "Ghost Walk" in Olde Town Portsmouth, VA is an awesome ghost and home tour. Since you'll be in Va. Beach, it's only about 20 minutes away. Check it out: http://www.otcl.org/GhostWalk.html

Also, in Richmond, VA you can go on the Haunts of Richmond tour: http://www.hauntsofrichmond.com/