We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Richmond worth the visit?

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Is Richmond worth the visit?

I don't want to sound trite or disrespectful -- but is it worth our vacation days to make a point of visiting Richmond. Please excuse my ignorance -- I know there is lots of confederate civil war stuff to see, and some material from the War of Independence. Are these great attractions? The city does not get much air time -- we are travelling to CW, Virginia Beach, Chalottesville and Philadelphia -- should we make a stop in Richmond as well? This would really help me decide

Thanks

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Richmond worth the visit?

*worth it to you* is a tough question...I could write pages of things to do in this area; all or none of them may interest you.

I'll tell you some of my favorites: whitewater rafting trip on the James River, visiting the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Maymont, and the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. The Richmond Shakespeare Festival which is held at a Tudor mansion brought over from England, the new National Park Service Civil War museum, poking around the boutiques in Carytown.

Why don't you take a look at http://www.visit.richmond.com and see if anything interests you.

I think either before or after dealing with the madness of the Williamsburg to VA Beach area in the summer, you might find Richmond to be a refreshing treat.

Midlothian, VA
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Richmond worth the visit?

I have to agree with 22Tango, “worth it” really depends on your interests. In addition to what he/she wrote I would add: viewing the architecture of the Fan and Monument Ave., the Virginia Historical Society, Hollywood Cemetery and Agecroft Hall (the site of the Shakespeare Festival).

Even if you ultimately decide not to spend a lot of time in Richmond, I would say that you should at least get off the Interstate and drive along Monument Ave. It is easily accessible from I-64 / I-95 and would probably add less than ½ hour to your travel time as opposed to bypassing the city. And who knows, you might see something along the way that will make you want to spend more time in Richmond.

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
203 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Richmond worth the visit?

I would have to say it depends on how much time you've alloted to see the sights of williamsburg. With Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, Historic Jamestowne, Yorktown Victory Center, Busch Gardens/Water Country in the williamsburg area, it's hard to see everything in just a few days. In particular, with the 400th anniv of Jamestown (going on this weekend!!), I think the Jamestown sights are particularly spruced up and worth seeing.

I don't find civil war history particularly interesting, so I haven't found Richmond sights to really appeal to me---although I do think they have a great Science Museum!

As other posters stated, it depends on what you find interesting....

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Richmond worth the visit?

Thanks to all of you -- I'm sure Richmond is great, and we may end up there yet, however -- with so much to see and limited time--- well it may have to be eliminated. If I were staying -- is there a good spot downtown which would be recommended? The Jefferson is too pricey for our blood.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Richmond worth the visit?

Try the Berkeley which is actually much better located than the Jefferson if you want to walk to places downtown. There are many little restaurants and shops in the several blocks surrounding it, in an area called Shockoe Slip. The Omni is across the street, but is a little more expensive.

6. Re: Is Richmond worth the visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:25 am, September 01, 2009