We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trani area

South Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
34 helpful votes
Trani area

We have stayed in Otranto and Torre Canne, but are taking our 8yr old grandson on holiday next summer and would like info on Trani area. We would be looking for hotel close to safe beach, preferably with mini club. Also small good restaurants nearby - so not much to ask!

9 replies to this topic
Bari, Italy
Level Contributor
192 posts
1. Re: Trani area

are you sure for this destination? trani area (molfetta, barletta, bisceglie) has not the best sea and beaches in puglia.

maybe you can consider Margherita di Savoia near trani to be a good solution.

otherwise look at the Gargano or at a southern area like San Pietro in Bevagna

http://www.TIPS4APULIA.tk

South Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
34 helpful votes
2. Re: Trani area

Thank you, that's very helpful. I have been researching Vieste, the Gargano area does look very lovely. How long would it take to drive from Bari Airport, the road looks very winding on the map so distance could be deceptive. Grazie!

Bari, Italy
Level Contributor
192 posts
3. Re: Trani area

distance is less then 200 km but you'd need about 2,5 hours to drive from aeroport to vieste ( translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c… ) because the last 50 km of the journey are on windy and panoramic road.

if you choose gargano for your holiday then be careful to find a good accomodation near a sandy beach (most of beaches in gargano are shingly)

South Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Trani area

After just coming back from Calabria (near Pizzo), with a very shingly beach, a sandy beach is important to my grandson! I've been looking at San Pietro as you suggested and this also looks very promising. We have spent several holidays in Otranto and do like this area. Hard to beat Puglia with its relaxed atmosphere and lovely food! Many thanks again for your help and we are looking forward to next summer. Mille grazie!

Montreal, Quebec
2 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Trani area

Hi

I don't even know if you're active on TripAdvisor anymore but I'll appreciate the reply if you take time to answer it.

We have booked a 3 night stay in Barletta in July (2018) and while browsing this thread I stumbled over the sentence "Barletta etc. don't have the best beaches in Puglia".

Would you care to elaborate a bit please? What makes Barletta beaches mediocre? Is swimming a problem due to seaweeds? Are they trash infested? Too many tourists on July?

Cuz we could probably compromise on "too many tourists" but not on seaweeds or trash for example.

Thanks again

Cheers

South Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: Trani area

Didn't stay in Baretta, took advice about beaches but would not think adverse report was due to trash or seaweed. We revisited the Torre Cane, that area has few tourists and lovely long sandy beaches. Also Otranto is a very interesting place to visit particularly the cathedral. Haven't been to Italy for a few years as our local airport doesn't service southern Italy so hope it's still as unspoilt as when we last visited! Hope you have a great time (ps. would advise taking phrase book as a little Italian would help in this region).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
23,568 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
7. Re: Trani area

We were in Barletta this time last year, so not beach season, but the beaches were not very visually appealing.

Where the beaches were stunning (looking at them) was on the Ionian Sea side of the " heel",. we drove along the coast road from Taranto to Gallipoli and porto Cesareo are in particular was so pretty. But I can imagine that in the summer it gets very busy

Agree about the lack of English in the region too, we were managing with my school Italian and my husband's adapting his native Spanish to Italian!

But the tourist information provision in English is excellent, starting here

https:/…Lecce-and-Salento

This was good too www.italyheaven.co.uk/puglia/index.html

Edited: 9:38 am, April 14, 2018
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
32 reviews
20 helpful votes
8. Re: Trani area

Yes, the coastline between Bari and Barletta is better to be avoided for a beach holiday (this is mainly a working area, also close to a major city, thus not the best location to swim and sunbathe), although these towns have remarkable historical centres and are definitely worth a visit. The Trani Cathedral in particular is one of the best examples of Romanesque architecture in Southern Italy, and it's blessed with a scenografical location above the sea. And you have that gorgeous, iconic monument which is Castel Del Monte in a short distance. Capitolo (part of Monopoli actually) and Torre Canne are probably the nearest places suitable for a beach holiday, but you should be aware that in summer season they get very crowded.

@SouthWalesTravelgirl unluckily Puglia is not unspoilt anymore...what I am angry about is that local authorities and entrepreneurs have done everything to promote tourism in the region without developing proper services and infrastructures, the result is that nowadays Puglia, especially along the Ionian coast in summer season, is jam-packed quite in an unpleasant way. Of course this affects a lot the quality of the seawater and the general cleanliness of local environment. But if you organize carefully your holidays you still can have great time in Puglia, as much as you can do basically everywhere in the world.

Montreal, Quebec
2 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Trani area

The thing is that we live in Canada so any half decent beach would be acceptable to us. Our flight is to Rome. I have found a Rome-Barletta direct bus so the transfer is going to be hassle free and won't need to rent a car.

We are only there for the beach. If the water is not dirty and the beach is not pebbly or full of weeds, we'll take it.

So basically swimming and sunbathing on the golden sand. Is it possible in Barletta?

Cheers

Reply to: Trani area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trani