We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancestry - Trani.

Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
13 helpful votes
Ancestry - Trani.

Ciao,

I am researching my family ancestry.

We are definitely from Trani.

I wish to visit in September and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the following 2 addresses:

(are they historical addresses or modern-Day ones)?

1. Strata sculanuva.

2. Vito San Donato 1.

I was given these addresses by my great-Uncle.

Also, how many cemeteries are there in Trani?

Thanks in advance

Laura

Sydney Australia

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
33 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Ancestry - Trani.

LMS. I think that the addresses have been "adjusted" by predictive text. Can you check the spelling of the street names?

Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Ancestry - Trani.

Hi BIUcello,

I believe my uncle may have transcribed them incorrectly. He has bad eyesight and hearing.

Do you think they may be close to any other similar addresses in Trani?

Thanks again

Laura

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
33 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Ancestry - Trani.

I think that one is Via San Donato. The other could be Via Scolanova. (The Scolanova was one of the synagogues in Trani).

These 2 streets are very close to each other in the old town.

Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Ancestry - Trani.

Oh wow. Thank you.

What do it mean by “old town”.

Is there a main cemetery that I may be able to visit?

I have found the archivo di state civile very reluctant to help research ancestry.

I’d like to do some looking around. Would this be acceptable?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
33 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Ancestry - Trani.

Hello LMS,

The old town in Trani is in the area to the south of the cathedral, and it then runs around the harbour.

In most Italian cities the oldest areas are easily recognisable on a map (or satellite view) by the narrowness of the streets and their irregular patterns. Newer parts of towns and cities are generally built on a grid.

Put one of your street names followed by Trani into google and select maps and satellite view. If you use Google maps, you should also be able to see your streets in street view.

Cemetery

I believe that there is only 1 cemetery in Trani. Google it. There is a website which should give you opening hours etc.

Ancestry Research

It's a shame that the archivo are not keen to help but it may be because they are under staffed. There may be a local history group in Trani which could offer advice. Is there a local newspaper that you could contact?

6. Re: Ancestry - Trani.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, March 21, 2019
Get answers to your questions about Trani