We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,645 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

Hallo from Ireland!

Hubby and I will be in Harvard in early October to attend a conference. I was just wondering (and I cringe while I'm typing...): is there a decent hairdresser around Harvard? We're staying at A Friendly Inn on Cambridge St. I thought I might have a wash and blow-dry so I might look decent for hubby's lecture and not like something the cat dragged in. Then again I might decide to be my natural self (looking like something the cat dragged in, or in our case, something the mutts discovered in the garden, chewed on and spat out again).

Thank you very much!

Cringingly yours,

Clauds

P.S. I really appreciated the threads on how to pronounce "Faneuil". No matter what I look like on the day at least I won't make an eejit of myself trying to pronounce that name (here's hoping).

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

Yes, there are tons of salons and spas in the Harvard Square area, as it is very trendy. I like the Carriage House, personally. They are on Church Street and you can check then out online at carriagehousesalon.com

Hope that helps!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

I don't understand why you think this is such an embarassing question.

I've never been to the Carriage House, but I've heard good things about it. Pyara in Harvard Square is an Aveda salon, if you are familiar with their products. It's also a full-service spa so you could get other treatments.

I used to go to Judy Jetson on Mass Ave, in between Harvard and Porter Squares in Cambridge (maybe a mile from your hotel?) and really liked it.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,645 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

Thank you very much, both of you, for your quick and kind replies!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

Your Hair Saloon on the beginning of Mt. Auburn. Near St. Paul's Church.

617-491-1975

Worth checking out, very pretty part of the Square.

Near Bow and Arrow Streets which are cute streets to put on your to do list.

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

I was advised that Faneuil rhymes with Daniel. However I am not sure how Daniel is pronounced in Co Kildare.

I am sure they will love you anyway. I thought that everyone in Boston was fantastic, apart from the man who didn't stop to give me directions in the pouring rain. I was that drowned rat your Irish cats had chewed up.

I wish I was going to Harvard in early October.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

Most Bostonians pronounce Fanueil Hall rhyming with "MANUAL". I think it's a much better choice than "Daniel".

AlanM

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,645 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

Hi guys, thank you very much for all of your contributions.

I appreciate all your posts regarding hairdressers and the pronunciation of "Faneuil".

Whether or not I actually get to a hairdresser on the day will very much depend on time... there's so much to do and see in Cambridge and Boston! I will probably be running around like a demented person trying to take it all in during the few days that we're there!

8. Re: Probably the silliest question you've had on this forum...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 pm, October 08, 2009