We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestions Please

Which Springfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,565 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestions Please

Hi,

I'm staying at the Microtel Inn (not my choice) later this month. Any breakfast/dinner recommendations nearby?

Thanks in advance.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

Dave, I think we already have you sold on the horesshoe with Darcy's Pint. If you are by the Capitol, you can get one at Norb Andy's. There are few botique resturants down by the capital, but they come and go (along with the fact that I haven't been down there for a year). Springfield is mainly a chain restruants place. You will find most of them on the west side of town out by the mall.

It is better than a Krispy Kreme, is the Mel-o-Kreme.

http://www.mel-o-cream.com/facts.html

Kreckel's is north of downtown. It is a greasy spoon known for it fried food and ice cream (actually custard). The burgers are pretty good.

http://www.krekelscustard.com/

Somewhere near by is the drive-in on Route 66 that orginated the corn dog. I am sure someone else can give you more info on that.

Have fun in Springfield. And up the cornary coverage on the health insurance:)

I will check with my aunt this week and see if she could think of anything else.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,565 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

Brian - I had my blood test last week. So I'm safe to go for a horseshoe.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

I talked to my aunt who just retired from the state down there. She said that I had listed the best already. Most of the other are typical chain places over on the south side of town. There are few good chains by the Crown Plaza on the east side (Hooters, Outback, Cheddars, Smokey Bones).

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,565 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

Arteries beginng to clog.........

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

Dave, check the area around the old court house. That seems to be where the trendy (eclectic taste) things come and go. They tend to cater to the Congress people down form Chicago. However, it seems like without the local support, they have a hard time staying in business.

I am having a hard time thinking of a place that would have food that isn't fried, or full of fat. Afterall they make a life-sized cow out of butter for the state fair each year.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

I didn't mean to say old Court house. I meant to say old capitol. Sorry

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

If you haven't already gone yet Dave I would throw in Cafe Brio downtown. Good location and good food. Saputos is downtown too and has good Italian food. Weiner Dog has good Chicago Dogs and other types of sandwiches. Its close to the new Lincoln Museum as well. Unfortunately Springfield is mostly chain restaurants.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,565 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

I survived D'Arcy's. Thanks for the tips! I haven't decided on tomorrow night's choice.

9. Re: Restaurant Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, August 14, 2009