We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Springfield in April

Montevallo, Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Springfield in April

I am planning a visit to Sprinfield in April. I will be flying in to St. Louis and driving over - trying to line up some stops along the way. Anyway, i am a huge Lincoln fan, so the historical sites are the primary reason for my visits. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for stops along the way? Also, i always look for travel coupons on line but i havent seen many for the sites in Springfield (other than the surveying museum and pres. library). Any suggestions on sites to find some coupons would be appreciated.

Montevallo, Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning a trip to Springfield in April

Thanks JLR. New Salem was already on my list, and the statehouse inn is where i am gonna book for our stay.

Oakbrook Terrace...
Level Contributor
762 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Planning a trip to Springfield in April

Hi Autiger,

How is the planning coming along?

Let me know if you need extra info.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Planning a trip to Springfield in April

Little Saigon in Springfield has excellent asian food. Also for something a bit different consider Holy Land Diner (middle eastern style-falafel, hummus, vegetables, etc) We like their buffet.

Springfield isn't that big so even if you don't stay in downtown you're only minutes away.

Alton has historic Civil War memorials.

greatriverroad.com is helpful

The cemetary where Lincoln is buried is worth a visit not only to see where he's buried but to wander around looking at old tombstones if you're into that.

Montevallo, Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Planning a trip to Springfield in April

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think i have got us mapped out pretty good - we are kind of making a circle going from st louis over to springfield and up to st petersburg and back down towards lerna and then heading through vandalia and back to st louis. Hitting a lot of historical sites along the way, a couple of covered bridges and a few quirky little roadside attractions too. Definitely hitting lincoln's tomb in springfield, as well as his home, law practice, and the state capitol buildings. I am very excited and looking forward to it. 9 days and counting.

15. Re: Planning a trip to Springfield in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, May 24, 2014