We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost in a Supermarket

London, England
Level Contributor
8,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Cost in a Supermarket

My partner and I are going to Sissi in May. We like to have a drink on our balcony. Can you tell me how much a litre of vodka or a GOOD bottle of wine will cost in a supermarket.

Thank you

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Steeve I also try new retsinas purely for the interests of science, LOL. I also try several bottles of them so I can be sure of the sample taken!

Maybe you mean the "Michalis Georgiadis Retsina" (there is also another one "Giorgos Georgiadis" not so good thow)

Maybe this is the one you mean: http://www.retsinageorgiadis.gr/

I think you may consider opening a liquer store, selling good retsina, you'd make a fortune :o)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Yes, that's the one!

But this looks like a better size lol:

http://www.retsinageorgiadis.gr/krasi-retsina-georgiadi/retsina-georgiadi-mixali/item/ρετσίνα-5l

I've tried many others over the years; Boutari, Apostolou, Theokritos, Niovi, Epom, Liokri (many times!), Marko, Ekavi, Enosis, Domenico, Armanti etc...(sorry about any mis-spellings)

In case you wonder how I can remember all the names, it's because I have a collage of labels to remind me of Greece!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Is retsina not a required taste, or has it improved? I remember drinking it years ago and I wasn't impressed. We go to France regularly and normally bring back Cotes du Rhone, Sancerre, Chablis, Muscadet and Aligote. Is there anything similar to any of them?

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Taste is something very subjective. I drink retsina and ouzo, from the time it was ok for me. It's matches the rest of the Greek cousine, actually it can even be an igridient of some dishes. There are references of retsina production from the ancient times. French wines on the other hand are lighter in general comparing to my "Greek" point of view. Our wines tent to be stronger.

I think a comparison between retsina and French wine is like comparing

apples with oranges. Different things

I have never tasted roast beef, and I don't miss it, or if I do, I probably won't eat it again for ages. For a British that would be a problem, as would be for me not to be able to drink a cold bottle of retsina. :-)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Retsina has a strong flavour and is quite dry and often acidic. It is an acquired taste, and one which many people don't acquire! Maybe they should persevere a bit more...

Some are smoother than others; I'm sure gerlion will be a better judge of this than me, but of the ones generally available in Crete, I think the Chania one:

…tripadvisor.com/media/…akrogiali-taverna.jpg

and the green and yellow label one in gerlion's post above are smoother than some others. Kourtaki is quite strongly flavoured (which is why I like it!)

For quality appelations in Greece, you could try sticking to the major players:

CAIR: http://www.cair.gr/Page.aspx?pageID=15

Boutari: http://www.boutari.gr/en/main.php

but probably a bit more than the price I quoted earlier.

Note that sweet red table wines are not uncommon, which can catch out the unwary! Most labels are multi-lingual, but if not, look for the word with the letters ΓΛΥΚΟΣ or lower-case γλυκός (=glykos, sweet) in it.

There are also 2 sweet dessert wines - the white Samos, and red Mavrodaphne. Think Muscat and Port respectively and you're not too far off the mark. Both very palatable in the right situation.

Our local Tesco sells Mavrodaphne, £4.99 a bottle...

PS gerlion, I'll swap you roast beef for retsina any time!

Edited: 9:46 am, March 10, 2014
London, England
Level Contributor
8,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Thank you both. I think Boutari is the wine I have drunk before. I prefer red wine and OH prefers white, but we drink dry wines. It will be nice to try a few different varieties whilst there. I don't think we will try to acquire the taste for retsina. Having tried it many times before, I don't really like it.

I worked in Corfu and Halkidiki years ago and visited Crete some years back, but for the life of me can't remember much about Greek wines.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Deal, Steeve, I wonder how it tastes! lol

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Cretan wines has improved greatly the last few years. But there are still plenty of plonk around. Try the Nostos wines, there are some excellent bottles, both red and white. Also, the Nostos Pink is surprisingly good for a rosé. You will find Nostos in IN.KA super markets all over Crete.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Thanks

london
Level Contributor
182 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cost in a Supermarket

Boutari Rose - yum - tastes of strawberry!

Get answers to your questions about Sissi
Recent Conversations