We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bit of a let down

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Bit of a let down

Stayed 12 days at Maritimo beach hotel in May, 12 days in Sissi was to long if you go I would recommend hiring a car because to be honest there is nothing in Sissi except a few bars, think the people on here who constantly rave about the place must be the owners or have shares in them.

Mentioned in this post
Maritimo Beach Hotel
Maritimo Beach Hotel
513 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Neromilos
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Greek
Elia
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Greek
Ormos Cafe
$$ - $$$, Greek
34 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bit of a let down

That's a shame and I guess everybody looks for something different. Did you not manage to get out and about using the bus service?. Mind you I have read on the forum posts about Sissi being full of British and Irish bars so I am guessing you didn't find that either :-).

p.s. just a personal opinion but to be able to get off the beaten track we always hire a car wherever we are staying in Crete.

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bit of a let down

I've just had a look at your review for the Maritimo and just a quick question did you go half board or B&B?

Mentioned in this post
Maritimo Beach Hotel
Maritimo Beach Hotel
513 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bit of a let down

What a shame, but I do hope you enjoyed seeing a little bit of Crete - there are plenty of other places to stay another time if Sissi didn't suit you.

There do seem to be several vociferous fans of Sissi on this forum, (I'm not one of them!), I'd be interested to know whether you would have preferred something bigger? Busier? Prettier? more authentic? More or less 'Greek'? It would be useful when others give advice to travellers in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bit of a let down

I'm sorry your holiday in Sissi wasn't up to your expectations. It sounds as though you feel that Sissi has been oversold here on the forum.

It's true that the posters who answer questions here are inclined to be very enthusiastic about the places they know and like the best. I know I am, and I think most of the regular posters are. That's understandable, but the result is that sometimes they recommend their favourite places without necessarily considering the wishes, tastes, and interests of someone who has never been to Crete and wants to be guided to a place where s/he can have a holiday that "fits" them.

It oughtn't to be like that, but it is. We should all take these things into account when answering questions instead of singing the praises of the one or two or three places that have stolen our hearts.

But there's another side to it. Sometimes people who come to the forum for advice don't ask the right questions, and don't say enough about their wishes, their interests, their likes and dislikes. Did you come to the forum for advice before you booked, or were you simply swayed by reading the enthusiasm of people who love Sissi. Many people do love Sissi: it's the right place for them, but it wasn't the right place for you.

I hope you'll have better luck next time. Do come and ask questions, and tell us exactly what you are looking for, and I hope you'll get suggestions that lead you to a holiday in Crete that's right for you.

Edited: 7:23 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bit of a let down

We spent a day and a night there a couple of years ago and were distinctly unimpressed, that is apart from meeting up with old Cretian friends.

In a post at the time I described it as "just a lighter shade of a ‘Brit strip’", not everyone agreed, each to their own.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bit of a let down

Oh I am sorry and what a disappointment for you......as others have said Crete is a huge island and really does have somewhere for everyone, i always suggest that any posters do their own research, as well as asking questions on the forum.

You Tube is also an excellent research tool because it gives a cross section of videos and photos too, and it’s never really a good idea making a decision purely on the photos provided by posters, as although these are useful to get a general idea, these photo slide shows are often biased towards a posters favourite holiday spots.

I do hope you will return to Crete and see more of the island next time.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bit of a let down

Hello Baresi-F. When are we going to get another of your great reports?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bit of a let down

Hi Jock, Thanks for reply we stayed half board at the Maritimo found the evening meals much better than the breakfasts, I think we had only one decent fish dish while at the hotel so have to ask while on here is there no fish left round Crete?. Or could it be Germans don't eat much fish anymore being they were 90%+ of the guests staying while we were there. We did hire a car for a few days and also used the buses 3 trips enjoyed with no problems even did the Happy Train one day unfortunately missed out on the other Sissi main attraction did not play the mini golf, before I start getting attacked Sissi is fine to chill but not for 12 days in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Maritimo Beach Hotel
Maritimo Beach Hotel
513 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Happy Train
Happy Train
256 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bit of a let down

Sorry that you felt let down by your holiday in Sissi. We really enjoyed our holiday there but we were only there for a week and agree that if you stay any longer a car is useful. We got out and about using the local buses - which are limited coming into the village - and did a lot of walking which is what we enjoy in Greece and there are some lovely walks around Sissi. We like Sissi because it's got a pretty harbour and a good selection of authentic Greek restaurants. We only visited a couple of bars as most of our evenings were spent in the tavernas - eating out is my favourite pastime on holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bit of a let down

Thanks everybody for your replies, I am not slagging off Sissi or Crete a great place to holiday found the people lovely except for the ones stood outside bars and shops trying to entice you in, bit like north Africa 30 years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Reply to: Bit of a let down
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sissi
Recent Conversations
;