We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

Which Omaha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leawood, KS
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

We are traveling in May to Omaha with our two little boys. We would like to stay somewhere with a nice park nearby for our little guys to play in the evening. We would like to avoid the downtown area. Last time, we stayed on the Council Bluffs side and the parks did not seem to be in a very nice neighborhood, the kind of place you don't want to be after dark! Specifically, we saw people that seemed to be selling drugs and others that seemed to be smoking "something" in their car. Anyway, is the west side of Omaha better? We are going to the zoo during the daytime.

omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

The hotels in the downtown area would be much closer for you to the zoo, but here are a couple of suggestions. A Ramada (just changed to this)near 72nd&I-80 has a pretty big indoor water area--

Coco Keys Water Resort with slides. I heard it can be pretty busy sometimes. The hotel is huge with lots of room options. Also a new hotel that I think is tucked away and is quite is the Marriot Aksarben Courtyard--it seems like it would have a lot of business travelers during the week as it is adjacent to several University bldgs. It is just a little further off 72nd & I-80. It is new and there is a a new movie theatre across street. Also just down the street (walking distance) is a small park with jungle gym (and sometimes small concerts and festivals). Also a small little "hometown" shopping district--Aksarbeb Village that has a couple of bars, a cupcake shop, a juice shop, and a Godfather's pizza joint. Check out the hotel. I think it even has a restaurant in it. When you go to the zoo, remember you can take in your own food and drinks!

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Omaha
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

Yes, the West side of Omaha is the nicest part of town.

Coco Keys resort - I would not recommend based on comments from friends / family.

The Aksarben village location that NEhusker mentions might be nice - its a newer development after they tore the old Aksarben ( Nebraska spelled backwards - they think thats real clever here ) horse track down.

There are 3 nice hotels right off I-80 at 126 / Giles exit the Hampton inn suites, Marriott Courtyard and Embassy suites. Right next to the Cabela's store. Chalco Hills lake is nearby with a nice trail to walk on and playgrounds. And the Amazing Pizza machine in Millard on is not too far away of the kids like arcade games - its like a Chuckie Cheese - food and games. Amazingpizzamachine dot com .. and also www ( dot ) bouldercreekminigolf ( dot ) net not far away either.

The Omaha Marriott on Regency parkway is nice but not sure about parks around there.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Omaha West‎ , 17677 Wright Street

Omaha, NE 68130 (402) 333-5566 is just north of Zorinsky Lake that has nice trails and a nice playground . The playground is at the 'F' street entrance - west on F street off of 156th street - go all the way to the end where the parking for the boat dock and playground is.

Edited: 4:28 pm, April 16, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

Sorry Grayhorse, but those of us who live in the "inner city" better known as Midtown Crossing and Aksarben Village happen to like our part of town and feel it is the "nicest" part of town. No park like either of them. I would suggest Marriott at Aksarben Village or the New green hotel Element by Starwoods. Both areas have nice parks including a water feature at Aksarben with walkable grocery stores and eateries. Both are less than 5 miles to Zoo and both have a new feel. Staying out west will no doubt offer a lot of "car" time from zoo to eating to sleeping etc. The Village vibe is alive and well in midtown.

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Omaha
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

Fantastic ! I am glad you like those areas. Its always good to get different perspectives and opinions. I am sure all suggestions are welcome by visitors and potential visitors to the area...keep em coming...

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

What are the cross streets at Midtown Crossing and Aksarben Villlage?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

You can Google either which will come up with maps, locations, shops etc.

Edited: 10:27 am, April 20, 2012
omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

Aksarben Village is approx. 65th & Center...great for any age

Midtown Crossing is approx. 35th & Dodge...best for younger singles and couples, not much for kids

Shenandoah, Iowa...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

Yes, grayhorse is the official West O promoter! Parts of West O are nice, and it is the newest part of town, but it is not the only nice part of Omaha (or even Nebraska!) And it will be a good 30 minute commute to the zoo. I have stayed at Coco Keys a few times and found it to be lots of fun! Yes, the water park is crowded...they let anyone come in, regardless of if they are a hotel guest or not, so it is crowded and draws people from all walks of life. But, it's still fun and recommended by this traveler.

9. Re: What's the best part of town to stay at with little kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:40 am, June 19, 2013