We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

My husband and I will be in Omaha (staying Downtown/Old Market area) next Saturday & Sunday. We've never been to Omaha before. Any suggestions for must-do activities for a couple in our late 20's? We're thinking the zoo, exploring Old Market, and would like to check out some of the parks, though I see the fountains/gondola rides don't begin till May.

We'd like to go out for a nice dinner on Saturday night. We especially love seafood and Italian. Patios are great if the weather cooperates. We'd prefer to eat downtown, but are open to other areas. Also, any lunch suggestions for Saturday & Sunday? On Sunday, we'll be at the zoo, so something close would be nice. We like homemade soup/sandwiches/salads or something fun and unique.

Thank you!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

- Any suggestions for must-do activities for a couple in our late 20's?

Zoo would be good weather permitting. Artsy folks might like the Joslyn Art museum ( Egyptian exhibit right now ) and you can see a lot of it in 2 -3 hours.

Old Market - in my opinion - a good place to eat / drink. Not much 'shopping' or other activities there.

Parks - maybe I have missed them in my 20 years here but I know of no park in Omaha that I would want to visit.

Peter Frampton is at the Orpheum theater Saturday night ! Harlem Globetrotters at the CenturyLink center . Check out visitomaha dot com

We especially love seafood and Italian.

- Omaha is not a big seafood town but Hiro 88 would be a good Old Market choice I love their food. They also have a Chinese menu - good too.

Patios are great ( lots of them in the O/M )

Zoo? For me , its King Kong just north of the zoo on 13th for a big Gyro platter.. but given the neighborhood the Zoo is in, I am not sure you will get a lot of trendy food. You could go across 13th to Starsky's and get a basket of Pig wings as was recently featured there on a TV show . If you like Czech food - the Bohemian Cafe south of the Zoo on 13th st is good - and unique - I like the liver dumpling soup - like grandma used to make.

Italian ? We like Vivace in the Old market, have been to Vincenzo's O/M location but it was not as good as their West Omaha location. Nicola's is nearby also but I have never been there.

Other choices - Flatiron Cafe is good, Sullivans for a high end steakhouse.

Upstream Brewery is a fun place for a beer, shoot some pool or a decent meal - one of my favorites in the Old Market . The Rock Bottom Tap at 11th and Harney is another good place for a beer and appetizers or a casual meal I love their homemade potato chips for a snack.

Lincoln, Nebraska
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Some great suggestions from grayhorse89. Here's a few more things for your consideration.

For parks, check out Lauritzen Gardens - Omaha's Botanical Center www.lauritzengardens.org and Fontenelle Forest, which has19 miles of trails. You can hike down to the Missouri River www.fontenelleforest.org

Near the Zoo, a funky little place called Louie M's Burger Lust Café offers great burgers and its cheap! But isn’t too fancy: www.louiemsburgerlust.com/

Another lunch idea is a little place called Jimmy D’s in the Aksarben area- a bar with good Italian food in a newly revitalized area http://www.jimids.com/

Another new area with bars, restaurants and shopping is Midtown Crossing. It has a theater where one can order food and drinks. http://www.midtowncrossing.com/

You can find more about the Old Market and its restaurants here: http://www.oldmarket.com/

And downtown, you can catch a dueling piano show at DJs Dugout http://www.djsdugout.com/ and the Slowdown offers live music http://www.theslowdown.com/

Travel Safely and enjoy Omaha!

Shannon Peteron

Nebraska Tourism

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

The zoo will take an entire day. They just had a baby giraffe and a baby zebra so don't miss them! You can take your own food and water bottles into the zoo to save you money.The food at the zoo is not very good but they do have a restaurant in the jungle area. Parking can be a pain, especially on the weekend, so I am not sure if you would want to leave to get lunch.

If you want to eat in the Old Market, Niccola's is wonderful italian food and has an outdoor patio. My most favorite italian in Omaha is Lo Sole Mio, which is not too far of a drive from downtown. But as mentioned above, Hiro 88 is my most favorite restaruant in the Old Market. They have a great selection of sushi, japanese and chinese cuisine.

If you are into hiking I would go to Fontenelle Forest. It is really pretty there.

Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions! I'll be printing these out to bring with us :)

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

I have, like, zero sense of direction, but isn't the Bohemian Cafe NORTH of the zoo on 13th?

Anyway, sfrazer, I would love to hear what you decided on and what you thought. Hope your trip was memorable in all the best ways!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Beseda - good catch! I think I got spun around thinking about the Old Market which is north of B/C...

Thats why I own a GPS.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Hello. I am from Baltimore and will be travelling to Omaha at the end of May and would like to know how sfrazer11 enjoyed the trip. I printed out the responses. They are very helpful. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank You.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Linda - you can also send the user a private message if you click on their name...

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Thanks. : )

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant/Activity suggestions Downtown Omaha

Since I wrote my original post the zoo has added another baby giraffe for a grand total of 2! I was just down there this morning and they are so cute! Also, April 5th the aquarium at the zoo will be opening 10 new exhibits. We are checking them out in the morning.