We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omaha Zoo and food

Which Omaha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Watertown, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
Omaha Zoo and food

Hello, I am takeing 4 children to the zoo on the 13th. I hear we can bring in coolers? Is this true? Do they check the coolers and only let you bring in water?

Where is a good place to eat? I am looking for family friendly, cost friendly, and well good food. I would love to take the girls to something ethnic.

Also, is historic downtown open? A little bird told me it's under water. Please say this is not true.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omaha Zoo and food

Downtown Omaha is NOT under water and is in good shape...

I think that there was another post here on the zoo and coolers, and zoo food . - Check out the post titled " Vacation with KIds" you will see - among other things:

-------------------------------

Vacation with Kids

2. Definitely pack a cooler with lunch. Zoo food is over-priced and DISGUSTING. I usually pack a large cooler (on wheels) with loads of ice, sandwiches, juice, bottled water, chips, cookies, ect...and I leave it in the car. When it is time for lunch, I have my husband go get it and bring it to one of the picnic areas by the petting zoo. It may sound like a pain, but trust me...when you pay over $100 for food your kids won't eat, its worth the trouble. You can also lug the cooler around with you, but if the zoo is busy and crowded, its a pain.

--------------------

There is a Childrens Museum downtown and the Durham Museum also.

As far as food - are you looking for something near the Zoo or something else in Omaha? Casual / for kids? Dinner ? Lunch ?

Family friendly / cost friendly and ethnic. Hmmm with those restrictions sounds like you might want Mexican.

Lincoln, NE
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omaha Zoo and food

The Bohemian Cafe at 1406 S. 13th street is located just north of the zoo. Take the 13th St. exit north, exit south is the zoo. It is located in a Bohemian style building. You could eat here on your way down to the Old Market. Some of the servers wear Bohemian outfits. They have a web site where you could check out the menu. If you go, save room for a kolache.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omaha Zoo and food

I am not sure the Bohemian Cafe is 'cost friendly' all depends on what they are looking for as a price point and for breakfast or lunch. We were just there last week and enjoyed the food - it was like my Grandmother was in the back cooking. Dinner entrees were between $12 and $20 and honestly I dont know a lot of children that would really enjoy roast duck, boiled beef, svickova, sweetbreads, schnitzel and all the rest of the regular fare they have there!

They can check it out on the web:

http://www.bohemiancafe.net/

4. Re: Omaha Zoo and food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, October 08, 2012