We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -- Oct. 9/10

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
758 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report -- Oct. 9/10

I'd been wanting to see Omaha for a few years, and my alma mater's hockey team (St. Lawrence U) was playing in the UNO Ice Breaker tournament, so that served as a good excuse.

I drove out via St. Louis and Kansas City, so the drive out was broken up over several days. I drove up from the KC area on Friday. Was staying in Council Bluffs, and got in around 1:30 PM. I had lunch at Runza, which was awesome (although I sent pictures to my coworkers and they thought the Runza sandwich looked gross), then just drove around Council Bluffs a little until I could check into my motel. SLU was playing the early game, so I didn't have much time before I had to head over to the Qwest Center.

The Qwest Center is a beautiful facility. I was impressed by the variety of items at the concession stands (including gyros and veggie burgers). Not a big crowd for the SLU-Lowell game, not surprisingly during work hours on a Friday, but it filled in nicely for the late game between UNO and Army. I liked the lively student section and the fact that the non students seemed to follow their lead and get into the game. I go to a lot of OSU hockey games, living in Columbus, and it is always just dead in the Schott (which is a similarly sized arena to the Qwest).

I woke up the next morning to three inches of snow on my car, which was not real welcome, but I dealt with it. The locals seemed more adept and confident at winter driving than folks in Columbus, even though it was the first snow of the season. I drove out to the west end of town to have breakfast and go to Half Price Books. Really great selection of indie rock CDs at Half Price.

Then I drove back downtown and walked around the Old Market District for a couple hours. Thought that was very nice, some very interesting shops. The Farmer's Market was going on, which seemed a bit surreal with all the snow on the ground!

From there I went to lunch at the Bohemian Cafe. The food was so great there but there was so much of it I couldn't finish.

I drove around some more, just looking around, until it was time to go back to the Qwest Center for the SLU-Army game (having lost to Lowell the day before, they had the early game), which they won. Since it was my only full day in Omaha, I decided to skip the late game and look around the city some more. Wound up having a smoothie at a cafe in Dundee (it was all I could eat since I was still really full from lunch!). Made an early night of it since I had a very long drive the next day.

I enjoyed seeing Omaha a lot. It seems like a pretty nice city. I'm not sure I would make it back often, just given how long of a drive it is from Columbus. But it is certainly a place I would consider visiting again, especially if I had more time to look around.

Entrap Games
Room Escape Games
Get Out Omaha
Room Escape Games, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Grand Island...
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report -- Oct. 9/10

Glad you enjoyed your tirp & the runzas!! The snow was very early for Nebraska. Thanks for the report.

2. Re: Trip Report -- Oct. 9/10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 21, 2010