We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

Boston
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

My wife and I will be in Provence late August and looking to do some antique shopping.

I know that the Market is on Sunday's and I heard that these markets can get pretty busy. We have a lot to do on our plate and wonder...

Is it easier to just check out the antique shops within the area on Saturday or go early morning Sunday for the market?

What time does the market start on Sundays?

How early should I get there for parking?

Are there better deals at the maket than the local stores?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

StC is absolutely right.....although I find the foodstuffs vendors a little more "generous" at the end of the morning....

Although....the roasted potatoes are usually all gone from the all of the poulet roti vendors by the end of the morning.

C'est tragique....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,315 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

We have stayed in the Isle and the antique shops are NOT open all days, especially closed earlier in the week. But the market is great. Just understand that most of the market is the usual stuff and that the antiques tend to be clustered in one area (at least as far as we have found) near one of the bridges.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

re haggling at brocante markets, we try to be civil and polite while questioning prices. First, unless there is a horde of people looking at the same item, I always put it down on the table rather than hold it. In other words, I disassociate myself from it. Then after the usual civilities, I ask for the best price, actually the "last price", the dernier prix. There is normally no further dickering after that. Either yes, please or no, thank you. If the dealer is really interested in selling it, he may call me back and offer a yet lower price or ask me to make an offer. Unless we are close, I don't insult him with a lowball offer.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

Re parking: there is a large public parking lot just to the east of the SNCF train station, at the southern end of the Cours Victor Hugo. We always found a parking space there in the morning, even on market day, & it's a walk of just 100 metres or so to the antique shops & market area.

Maine
Level Contributor
700 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

Hello, I really don't see much in this market that would incite me to buy; we have been there 4 times in the past 8 years-- prices are really expensive. The market seems to know that it is a famous for antiques; so, it is not our favorite . The prices reflect the money that tourists bring in . You must visit the shops to see the incredibly tall/huge armoires, some 8 -10 feet tall for your newly purchased castle :). A fun visit to a marche: Vaison la Romaine, open Tuesday which sits between Roman ruins and way more interesting. We quickly dropped the idea of buying antiques in France. We have found sales for charity in several towns and wished we thought of shipping stuff back for example, Villefranche- this would be where one might start a search for treasures.

16. Re: To L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Saturday or Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 25, 2015