We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ear sculpture in the river

UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Ear sculpture in the river

No kidding. It's near one of the footbridges and there is a very beautiful poem by the bridge, in French, which says something about resting one's ear on the sound of the water. Since I was in L'Isle, three years ago it's been bugging me that I didn't make a note of the author. Could someone who's visiting L'isle PLEASE have a look and see who it is? Thanks : )

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

If you remember L'Isle its full of foot bridges both in the main centre and inside the town.

Any rough idea where it was - eg opposite restaurants, shops, near a main road etc?

I ask as I would like to see it too.

UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

Oh wow, I have trouble remembering now! It's possibly easier to look for the plaque with the poetry on . . . that's just before you step on to one of the footbridges. It's a pedestrian only bridge. There is a sort of park in the middle of town next to the river. So far as I remember, if you are standing in that park, facing the river and the old town, the footbridge is on your right, and the plaque is on the same side of the river as you. To see the sculpture, you walk across the footbridge to the old town, and just before you are right across it, lean over - I think to your left as you face the old town - and there's this huge stone that looks like an ear. Good luck with trying to locate it. I've never seen this ear mentioned in any literature and to begin with I thought I was imagining things, then on my last day I saw the poem and realised they must be connected.

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

I love a challenge! This website http://tinyurl.com/yr5fdc is incomprehensible, but it includes a photo which might be the one you're looking for. There are some quotes, but nothing matches what you remember. Could it be something from Rene Char, who was born in l'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue? I picked up a fragment from a collection called "Seuls demeurent":

"II faudrait donc tendre l'oreille, se pencher vers ce marmonnement du monde, tacher d'apercevoir tant d'images qui n'ont jamais ete poesie", but I can't access the rest.

UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

Yesss! that's it! They don't however quote the poem with it. However I'm relying on Boucheboy to have a look. Maybe it's Rimbaud as the website mentions him above it? I also wondered if it was Petrarch. Anyway, I hope everyone who goes to l'Isle now leans over and has a look. That's a very good pic by the way, my photo of it didn't come out well at all - light in the wrong place.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

I will look the next time I am there but it will not be for a few weeks .

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

We saw the ear - even took a picture of it. Our local friend told us it was Van Gogh's ear (not the real one of course!) :)We missed the poem however. We'll have to look for it next time.

UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

Didn't know Vince was so big! Did he go to l'Isle then? I know he was at the sanatorium in St Remy which is v. near.

Isle sur sorgue...
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

Hi the story is that it is where Van Gogh cut of his ear and threw it in the river. It is by the bridge where the park is (cafe des fleurs restaurant) opposite the post office.I see it every Sunday when I go and buy my vegetables

ESCARGOT

Les Carmes

Luberon Provence
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

Hi

We were in l'Isle yesterday and I checked out the ear sculpture story, tho' info is a little thin on the ground. Apparently this has little to do with van Gogh save it being an ear, he cut his right ear off for a young girl, called Rachel in Arles. She had asked if he would do anything for her. As far as I am aware he never visited Isle.

The Isle tourist board say that a dutch sculpteur gave the work to the town some 10 to 20 years ago and that the maire was unsure as to what to do with it. It was finaly decided to drop it into the river to listen to the sound of flowing water.

The sculpted poem on the rock is not signed but reads:

Je repos ma tete sur une pierre

et rince mon oreille dans la fleuve.

Hope this helps

regards

Wilko

UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ear sculpture in the river

Thanks Wilko. Wonder what the sculptor thought of the ear being chucked in the river. I did a real double-take when I saw it. I think the poem's great and wonder if it was written specially for the occasion.