We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

My husband usually reads the Cabela`s magazine here at home with great interest about outdoor gear and he says that he really wants to visit such an outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" to look at clothing, fishing and camping gear when we are in Anchorage in July 2014. Cabela`s doesn`t seem to have a store in Anchorage though, but I´m sure there are similar? Can you recommend any good outdoor mall that has all this?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

REI is probably the closest to it. Or Sportsman's Warehouse is a notch below that.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Cabela's was scheduled to arrive Spring 2014, but I don't know the current status:

adn.com/2013/05/24/2914554/kpb-architects-to…

So if it all goes according to plan, your hubby might get his Cabela wish.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Thanks fti for your suggestions, I have written them all down for him!

Aaaawh, thanks denalicat, that would be awesome news if Cabelas would open a store in Anchorage next spring! *fingers crossed*

Edited: 1:37 pm, October 05, 2013
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Cabellas is big and national, and locally perhaps the closest thing we do have is REI and Sportsman's warehouse.

However, if he decides to look at LOCAL outfitters and not just a re-hash of the national stores, then he might consider (in no particular order) 6th Avenue Outfitters and Army-Navy Surplus, both downtown and have been in business for decades outfitting Alaskans. For mountaineering and snow sports, AMH - Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking - is the serious store to go to. It is right around the corner from REI. Then for hunting fishing specialties there is Mountain View Sports on Old Seward Highway and BJ's, a serious enough store to survive without glitz and in the basement of a strip mall on Northern Lights.

Those are all to be recommended if he wants a bit of local Alaskan flavor to checking out the selection. I am sure I forgot more, but that is a good start, and a supplement to his interest.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Thanks 71 for your detailed reply and the many good suggestions, I have written them all down for him to investigate a bit more on the internet and then maybe choose two or three places to actually go to when we get there (and mark them on Google maps so we can find them)! Thanks again, very helpful! :-)

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Anchorage will also have a Bass Pro opening sometime in 2014.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

That sounds exciting (their website is a lot like Cabelas)! Thanks AKStafford for adding another interesting place to the list...looks like we will do nothing else but shopping when we get to Alaska, lol, and it`s not even for me this time, haha! ;-)

Annika

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

For something local I will throw in Boondocks in Eagle River. Small but full of everything you may need and when my dad visits he heads there for all his local fishing advice.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Cabela's stores are like Disneyland for guys.......We have been to one in Montana on a few occasions and every time Popbear just wanders off and I don't seem him again for hours......If you come across one on your trip, be sure you take a good book with you Anika, maybe even pack a lunch !....LOL

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outdoor mall/store "Cabela`s style" recommendations?

Thanks spacefry for your suggestion as well...the list is getting longer and longer every day! I am beginning to wonder if we will have time to do anything else at all than outdoor-gear-shopping while being in Alaska?! LOL

mombear, haha, is it really that serious? Oh dear! LOL ;-)

Annika