We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing while in Alaska in August

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hutchinson, Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
fishing while in Alaska in August

we are taking a 3 day cruise and 7 day bus/rail exertion into Alaska. we have limited free time but wanted to try fishing. The free days we have to plan personal exertions are in Juneau, Whitehorse, Denali, and Anchorage. Which location would be best for Salmon fishing? and can you give me contact information for the community.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing while in Alaska in August

Exactly when in August, as that will determine salmon runs?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing while in Alaska in August

Love the typo " 7 day bus/rail exertion"..........got me laughing this morning, because that's what this trip sounds like to me, too.....

I wouldn't waste my time in Juneau on a fishing trip where you MIGHT catch salmon......instead take a whale watching trip, helicopter to land on a glacier, floatplane over the glaciers to Taku Lodge......way too many other things to do for you excursions there......

This site should help you with fishing regulations www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=home.main

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing while in Alaska in August

you can find a fly in fishing guide out of anchorage

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing while in Alaska in August

Also, how much time do you have on the Anchorage day? Are you willing to spend the whole day traveling, fishing and then traveling back to Anchorage? Will you have a rental car to get where you need to go to fish? How much money are you wanting to spend (some guide services can be more expensive than people think they will be- especially up here)?

5. Re: fishing while in Alaska in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 16, 2014