We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage Airport

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
711 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage Airport

I'll have four bags to get from baggage pickup to a rental car at the airport. What is the best way to get there? When I return the car for my return flight, what is the best way to get from the car rental drop off point to checkin? Does United have curbside checkin? Thanks.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage Airport

Didn't see any curbside check-in when dropping my friend off two weeks ago (and I drove the whole strip of airlines). Best way to move your luggage is to get a cart. When you arrive, they have them available to rent right by the baggage claim. We tried to rent one at curbside, but the machine was broken, so she had to run inside and get one. Not sure what the situation will be near the rental car return, but if you are dropping off your car at the airport, you can look around while grabbing your car to see if there are cart rentals nearby.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage Airport

At Anchorage airport (and most others I fly to), when I have checked luggage I tend to park in the "normal" parking area first to bring my checked luggage into the terminal and check in. The ANC airport gives the first 1/2 hour of parking free, which I usually can stay under, especially if I use the kiosk in the terminal to "pay" (then I get another 15-20 minutes to exit). This way I can leave my carry ons in the car while checking in. It isn't too bad at Anchorage though because the rental cars are actually in the parking deck attached to the terminal - unlike many where it is a shuttle bus ride away.

There has been a luggage cart stand against the wall where the rental cars are parked if you want to rent one. I just hate paying $3 or more for such a short trek to check-in.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage Airport

As fti mentioned, the rental car return is right there at the airport (if you rented at the airport and not offsite). If you have two people, drop one person and the luggage on the curb and then return the car and meet them up there.

Otherwise, rent the cart, or do as fti has suggested and park in short term, return the bags and then return the car.

The Anchorage airport does not offer curbside luggage check.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
711 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage Airport

Thanks for the replies. In the past I've just stacked the smaller cases on top of the larger cases and muscled them to where I needed to go. Unfortunately I'm getting older and my days of muscling things around are diminishing. I need to start doing things smarter these days. I've never used a cart before, so I'm not familiar with the procedure. Do they have to be returned to where you find them or do you just leave them at designated places like grocery carts?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage Airport

>> If you have two people, drop one person and the luggage on the curb and then return the car and meet them up there.

Excellent advice. This is exactly what we did in June with 9 of us and a ton of luggage.

Carts can be left any place you want. Some airports (ANC used to be one, but I don't know if it has changed) will give you 25 cents back for returning the cart to a rental stand. In any case, you don't need to return the cart to the place you got it from and if there is no "reward" involved, you can just leave it anywhere you want (someone else might use it after you!).

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
711 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage Airport

Just me and 4 bags. Two large, 1 medium, and 1 small. Sounds sort of like pizza. But, no pizza, just gear and clothes. :)

My home airport is probably about the size of Anchorage airport. I thought about checking my check-in luggage, then going back to get the carry-on bags, since the garage is close to the terminal.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage Airport

Here's my luggage cart trick (I'm too cheap to pay...)

You can return your cart to any rental station, but most people don't. They use them to check in and then leave them before gong into security OR they get one at baggage claim and then either leave them on the curb or in the parking garage.

Usually I'm traveling with others, so I have them drop me off, usually near baggage claim and I'll run around a find a cart and then meet them up by the drop off area with my cart.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
711 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage Airport

Now, if I can just get someone to push the cart........ ;)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage Airport

I would park in the parking garage (free for first 1/2 hour) and check in your checked luggage. Then circle around the airport back to the car rental return.

AKStafford, you are letting the secret out. Now it will be harder for us to find carts in the future :-). It was funny in June - two teens and I went roaming the arrival area outside the ANC airport for carts (near the taxi stand, etc). Usually it is easy to find some there. We found one, but it wasn't until we were almost giving up and heading back inside that one of the guys found a second one. I never pay for a luggage cart! I have even been known to hang around prime locations to shag carts and return them for the 25 cents each when I have a long layover somewhere and time on my hands!

>>Now, if I can just get someone to push the cart........ ;)

I volunteer. Just pay for my flight to ANC and I will guarantee to push your cart anytime you want, both upon arrival and departure in ANC!

Edited: 1:44 pm, August 05, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
333 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage Airport

OP, This is from Ted Stevens Airport's website:

All rental car companies listed below are located in the new Rental Car Center across from the South Terminal. Free Airport shuttle buses travel between the South Terminal, North Terminal, and the Rental Car Center every 15 minutes, all day, every day.